AMC's Walking Dead mini-series!

Comments

• Season 8, Episode 14. "Still Gotta Mean Something"

The aftermath of the Saviors attack, and Negan and Jadis have a heart-to-heart. Rick is now the most unlikable character on the show and Negan -- the guy who beat two people to death with a barbed-wire baseball bat -- seems more human and relatable. And oh yeah, Daryl (who is rapidly tumbling down the ladder of importance on this show) and Rosita are going on yet another ill-advised rogue mission. Whee.

But CAROL ACTUALLY
    SAVED A KID! (For now, anyway.)

Still no idea what is up with that helicopter, but Jadis lives in a surprisingly pristine environment in the middle of a junkyard (complete with the whitest of white linen).

As for who Negan found on his way back to the Sanctuary, I'll guess
    Gregory, but I could also see it be Linda - the Savior who escaped when Dwight turned on them.

Better than last week. 7/10
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    8 seasons is a long time for a 'Mini Series'
  • Is it bad that I'm more excited about Morgan (post Cheesemaker) schooling the Fear The Walking Dead cast in their next season than I am for the next 2 Walking Dead episodes?
  • Season 8, Episode 15. "Worth"

Fare thee well,
    Simon. You were a great bad guy.

Also, a soon-to-be fare thee well to
    Dwight, probably

Negan sets yet another trap for the Hilltop, as he is finally in kill-'em-all mode. Oh yeah, and there was stuff with Daryl, Rosita and Eugene, and Aaron and the Oceansiders are still a thing, too. Yup. Negan reasserting his dominance over the Saviors was good, everything else was just there. 6/10

• I don't understand why Eugene does the stuff he keeps doing.
  • Season 8, Episode 16. "Wrath"

The war ends thanks to help from a seemingly unlikely ally.

And with that, I'm done unless
    they re-sign Lauren Cohan, since a Rick/Michonne vs. Maggie/Daryl/Jesus feud is what's being teased for Season 9 - that seems at least mildly interesting
    because I don't care enough about anyone to see what happens next. And that whole Morgan crossover was pointless. Dude just got up and left -- point taken. 5/10
  • The show started it's decline after Season 4 IMO.
    I only stuck around til about 6.2 because I love lots of the characters (not Daryl or Carol.. and honestly their constant showing during Season 4/5 was so bad I almost left then.. you could tell it was to keep fans of them around)

Deaths that made no sense that also nailed the coffin for me (slowly over time):
    Andrea (should have kept her around for at least a few more seasons. Totally wrote her TERRIBLE..)
    Beth (Do I even need to explain...)
    Glenn (should have used Daryl to change up from the comic)

• The guy that played Glenn basically pleaded his way to a death scene saying that it was too iconic to change. The writers were content just letting Abraham bite it.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited April 16

The guy that played Glenn basically pleaded his way to a death scene saying that it was too iconic to change. The writers were content just letting Abraham bite it.

And honestly at that point of the show my string was almost broke anyway LOL. So Abrahams death didn't affect me whatsoever.
    Yeah at least we see Steven is getting other work on movies and such. He deserves it. I think he was done with the show (which explains Beth's death partly since Emily thought she could do music the rest of her life... uh no.. )

But they still wrote Beth's death terrible.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited April 16
    Andrea and Glenn really were necessary for the associated antagonists to have a real emotional heft - people just didn't care enough about the deaths of the likes of bit-parters and short-timers like Sasha and Abraham and Denise and Herschel to make people really feel like the bad-guys were 'bad enough' to take the focus of the show for as long as they did. To make viewers really hate a villain the villain needs to strike at the 'core group' and not just trim the fat. I don't think Abraham or Sasha alone would have been 'enough'; Negan needed to kill a beloved core character to make the viewers hate. If Glenn's death really was the actor's request, I have to think if he didn't request it the writers would have written out another core cast member. Abraham, who was clearly at the end of his arc anyway, wouldn't have been enough to make the audience care. You could even see it during live twitter reactions during that episode... people were all in "Oh, so it was Abraham, ho hum, the easiest and laziest choice" mode until the episode doubled down and took Glenn too. Then they cared.

The lazy write-out deaths were the ones like Beth and Carl...
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited April 16

Andrea and Glenn really were necessary for the associated antagonists to have a real emotional heft - people just didn't care enough about the deaths of the likes of bit-parters and short-timers like Sasha and Abraham and Denise and Herschel to make people really feel like the bad-guys were 'bad enough' to take the focus of the show for as long as they did. To make viewers really hate a villain the villain needs to strike at the 'core group' and not just trim the fat. I don't think Abraham or Sasha alone would have been 'enough'; Negan needed to kill a beloved core character to make the viewers hate. If Glenn's death really was the actor's request, I have to think if he didn't request it the writers would have written out another core cast member. Abraham, who was clearly at the end of his arc anyway, wouldn't have been enough to make the audience care. You could even see it during live twitter reactions during that episode... people were all in "Oh, so it was Abraham, ho hum, the easiest and laziest choice" mode until the episode doubled down and took Glenn too. Then they cared.

The lazy write-out deaths were the ones like Beth and Carl...

I do agree. However, anyone who has read the comics knew Glenns death was coming (especially considering how much closer they kept getting to the comics without branching out much). The dumpster "trick" they did was god awful too. Who approved that writing?

EDIT: Oh rereading back, i wasn't saying they shouldn't have advanced the story though with a character death. That is definitely necessary especially with how dull this show is at times (at least 4 episodes a season usually don't move the plot it seems and just show them wandering around for an hour..). They should have just branched away from the comic for that big moment regardless of what the actor wanted...