DLC Discussion Thread: The Strokes and The Warning!

Comments

• So I've listened to Survive a few times since (among other reasons) I don't think the previews always do songs I'm unfamiliar with justice. Aside from the piano intro (I know, I dislike alt-charting but it's going to be for a tiny bit of the song, I can live with it), I like it. I think my all-time favourite free song is I Still Believe by Frank Turner (honestly amazed that it came out at all really, let alone that it was free) but this would easily make my top five. Can't wait to play it!
  • I get the idea of rewinds, even though I don't like them cuz I have them already.. But I'm pretty shocked to see Reptilia offered up.. I'm familiar with the Strokes (I'd really like Last Night, like a lot of us on here), but was Reptilia ever a hit? Is it a popular song to play online? It really does nothing for me, and outside of Rock Band, I don't know that I've ever heard it anywhere in my life.. Were people really clamoring for this??
  • I get the idea of rewinds, even though I don't like them cuz I have them already.. But I'm pretty shocked to see Reptilia offered up.. I'm familiar with the Strokes (I'd really like Last Night, like a lot of us on here), but was Reptilia ever a hit? Is it a popular song to play online? It really does nothing for me, and outside of Rock Band, I don't know that I've ever heard it anywhere in my life.. Were people really clamoring for this??

As soon as I saw The Strokes in the title I knew it had to be Reptilia, every music game franchise seems to get Reptilia and Under Cover of Darkness as soon as possible. What happens after that is unknown.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act

I get the idea of rewinds, even though I don't like them cuz I have them already.. But I'm pretty shocked to see Reptilia offered up.. I'm familiar with the Strokes (I'd really like Last Night, like a lot of us on here), but was Reptilia ever a hit? Is it a popular song to play online? It really does nothing for me, and outside of Rock Band, I don't know that I've ever heard it anywhere in my life.. Were people really clamoring for this??

Wasn't a hit in the traditional sense but it's become one of their signature songs, and has grown in fandom thanks to being licensed for various things (like RB1/GH3). It's a fan favorite, and a really good choice for Rock Band.

It just sucks that I love The Strokes and have been waiting for something new by them in Rock Band and we get the same song we've had since the series began.

If we had packs for rewinds like with Alice in Chains this would be a little better. Last Nite, Someday, You Only Live Once, Hard To Explain, 12:51, Juicebox, Taken For a Fool, Threat of Joy, OBLIVIUS... There are so many songs by them we should've gotten by now. It saddens me.
  • EliBell1 said:

I said this in last week's DLC discussion thread, but there are hundreds of songs I still want to purchase from pre-RB4 DLC. There's basically no such thing as a week without songs for me to purchase.

I purchased 50 songs last week and am now just 4 songs away from owning 1500 songs! Only 3 after the free song by The Warning this week!

For a lot of people that's a tapped-dry well by now, particularly with the fact that all the pre-RB3 DLC was on half price sale for years. It's unlikely for me to find a song I've had an option to buy for near-a-decade and opted not to, even when I had a chance at half price, that's I'd spontaneously want to pay full price for now.
    I'm late to the want-to-own-almost-everything party. Wish I could take my current mindset back with me to 2013 before song delisting began and the sale was still going on.
  • EliBell1 said:

EliBell1 said:

I said this in last week's DLC discussion thread, but there are hundreds of songs I still want to purchase from pre-RB4 DLC. There's basically no such thing as a week without songs for me to purchase.

I purchased 50 songs last week and am now just 4 songs away from owning 1500 songs! Only 3 after the free song by The Warning this week!

For a lot of people that's a tapped-dry well by now, particularly with the fact that all the pre-RB3 DLC was on half price sale for years. It's unlikely for me to find a song I've had an option to buy for near-a-decade and opted not to, even when I had a chance at half price, that's I'd spontaneously want to pay full price for now.
    I'm late to the want-to-own-almost-everything party. Wish I could take my current mindset back with me to 2013 before song delisting began and the sale was still going on.
    I wish I had joined the forums earlier (so I wouldn't have missed Runnin' Wild, was there a pre-delist warning?) and also wish I believed the 2013 hiatus wasn't the end of the franchise (would've bought Manu Chao and Hier Kommt Alex as standalone DLC even though I already owned them via the EU RB1 export).
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

EliBell1 said:

EliBell1 said:

I wish I had joined the forums earlier (so I wouldn't have missed Runnin' Wild, was there a pre-delist warning?) and also wish I believed the 2013 hiatus wasn't the end of the franchise (would've bought Manu Chao and Hier Kommt Alex as standalone DLC even though I already owned them via the EU RB1 export).
    I don’t know when you joined the forum (and haven’t bothered to look it up on your profile...are those dates still even there/accurate?) - I feel like you’ve been here (way?) longer than me...) but one thing to keep in mind is, the forum is a time sink, and it could’ve drastically cut into you’re 4300 (? is that number right?) hours of playing, hence you might not have made it into the game... so, for the sake of your newfound fame, it’s probably a good thing...
  • BachiG said:

EliBell1 said:

EliBell1 said:

I don’t know when you joined the forum (and haven’t bothered to look it up on your profile...are those dates still even there/accurate?) - I feel like you’ve been here (way?) longer than me...) but one thing to keep in mind is, the forum is a time sink, and it could’ve drastically cut into you’re 4300 (? is that number right?) hours of playing, hence you might not have made it into the game... so, for the sake of your newfound fame, it’s probably a good thing...
    I joined the forums around June 2010 because of something to do with GDRB but something to do with the separate UK RB3 forums (I don't remember what) led me to create a new account for the US forums so I could earn the RB3 achievement hence why my profile shows October 2010. According to some forum threads, Runnin' Wild was delisted in March 2010.

As for the 4100 hours, that's just RB4. XB1 shows the stats of how long you've played each game and that's what my total was around when they came up with the idea for the loading screen tip. It's a large amount though that time counts whenever you're in the game, so even if you're waiting several hours for the game to load your DLC because of a XB1 system update that just happened it still counts towards your total.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited May 16
    BachiG said:

HMXOwl said:

You never know when I might purposely prompt a discussion to take back to people here.

Norwegian death funk. That is all.
    That will be the worst week of DLC. Ever.
    By the way, @FritzyKatz gets me ... @NightmareLyre, @LiveHomeVideo, @pontoonboatfire and @Vexus ...maybe not so much.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

EliBell1 said:

EliBell1 said:

I believe Runnin Wild was one song that was pulled without warning. Like legal made a sudden realization that they weren’t actually allowed to sell it and immediately enacted measures to prevent any further sales.

Most normal ‘license ran out’ cases come with a lead time last-chance announcement. Runnin Wild was an anomaly.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    Survive sounds way better than Free Falling did. That makes me happy because I want to like The Warning because they have a cool story to tell.
  • hiimSMAP said:

coolkat said:

You know, I honestly wish we had more variety when it comes to lesser-known stuff, since a lot of it is alternative and indie rock music from at least this decade. I mean, the last time I can recall where we got stuff that was pretty much off of the popular radar from before the year 2000 was way, way back when, with stuff like the Mission of Burma pack.

It's a shame, really, because there are plenty of bands I think would be awesome to have in Rock Band from decades past that are way, way off the charts and stuff, or were in the 30s and up on them. Just a little bit more variety, I think, would freshen up things a bit in that area.

Totally 100% agreed and something I’ve thought for a long time. The Mission of Burma/Dead Kennedy’s week way back in the day was the most exciting time, it really felt like the possibilities were endless for what could be in Rock Band. The choices are so safe these days. I realize things are different now financially but man.
    I think that, for the most part, when we do get obscure stuff, they're chosen based on how closely they resemble what does sell. With Mission of Burma, I feel like that, for a brief period, classic post-'70's punk was having sort of a mini-resurgence through rhythm games (i.e. Holiday in Cambodia in GHIII), or via some nostalgia, and I think Mission of Burma was in roughly the same neighborhood; essentially, I think they were pairing things up that fit somewhat well together.

With the most recent set of free songs we got, most of them are fairly reminiscent of a lot of contemporary rock. "Body Like That" could pass as maybe a Fall Out Boy B-side or something of the sort; "Forget About Tomorrow" has an indie-folk tinge to it a-la The Lumineers and similar bands; "I Hear the Dead" (which, on an unrelated note, I LOVED and bought the moment I could) is a garage pop tune, something I'd probably hear on college radio; "Vinyl" is a kind-of lo-fi, gentle pop track with upbeat lyrics; the only one that doesn't really submit to a certain pop mold is "Shame," which is a through-and-through blues rock song, at least in my eyes. That's not to say these songs are bad (I actually quite like all of them), but four out of the five seem selected to attract the attention of those who like what's popular.

In retrospect, I think that's why we haven't gotten a whole lot of less-obvious stuff from ten, twenty, thirty years ago; it's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think people are interested in what sounds like the pop of yesteryear, they want stuff that sounds like the pop of today. Would someone using Rock Band solely for party karaoke buy "She Talks in Stereo" by Gary Myrick and the Figures? Would a casual music listener really bother with "Under the Moon of Love" by long-gone from the charts and Britain-centric pop band Showaddywaddy? This may not be the case, but from a business perspective, I don't think it'd be worth the expenditure compared to say, getting major pop hits that have stayed relevant or in the zeitgeist of the vast majority of the consumer base.

Is this a wall of text that I kind of wrote while being tired? Yep, but I think my point still stands.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

BachiG said:

EliBell1 said:

EliBell1 said:

I joined the forums around June 2010 because of something to do with GDRB but something to do with the separate UK RB3 forums (I don't remember what) led me to create a new account for the US forums so I could earn the RB3 achievement hence why my profile shows October 2010. According to some forum threads, Runnin' Wild was delisted in March 2010.

As for the 4100 hours, that's just RB4. XB1 shows the stats of how long you've played each game and that's what my total was around when they came up with the idea for the loading screen tip. It's a large amount though that time counts whenever you're in the game, so even if you're waiting several hours for the game to load your DLC because of a XB1 system update that just happened it still counts towards your total.

Yeah, I imagine quite a bit of time is in the menus, music store, etc. How many song plays do you have? Or was that count via the App implemented only when Rivals (or possibly the App) came out?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 16
    djb5f1 said:

BachiG said:

EliBell1 said:

EliBell1 said:

Yeah, I imagine quite a bit of time is in the menus, music store, etc. How many song plays do you have? Or was that count via the App implemented only when Rivals (or possibly the App) came out?
    Currently it's at 18452 since early 2016 (my launch save file had the large glitch which required deleting the save file completely to fix). Having to delete my save file wasn't much of an issue back then as everyone's leaderboard scores were being wiped anyway as a result of merging the leaderboards between Play a Show, Career and Quickplay.

I'm sure plenty of you remember the debate back then which also included whether Play a Show mode should have Stage Presence awards.
  • edited May 16
    I'm always happy to get Rewinds back since I switched platforms this gen. More than one song would be nice though.

I'm glad to get lesser known bands. I feel as if before, DLC was focused more on stuff that was fun to play. From the RB3 era, it feels like that isn't as important and the main thing considered is how popular the song or artist is. This seems especially true with modern pop releases in RB4 that are sometimes tedious to play.

Do you guys think there's any validity to this?
  • BachiG said:

BachiG said:

HMXOwl said:

You never know when I might purposely prompt a discussion to take back to people here.

By the way, @FritzyKatz gets me ... @NightmareLyre, @LiveHomeVideo, @pontoonboatfire and @Vexus ...maybe not so much.
    I JUST LOVE THE CONCEPT TOO MUCH OKAY
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Even with multiplayer available, I'm primarily a solo or small group (read family party) player. I'll install any free songs but much prefer paying for hit songs. The free songs get played by me on my own. They never get touched in a group setting as my partner in crime is usually on vocals.
  • jkald said:

I'm always happy to get Rewinds back since I switched platforms this gen. More than one song would be nice though.

I'm glad to get lesser known bands. I feel as if before, DLC was focused more on stuff that was fun to play. From the RB3 era, it feels like that isn't as important and the main thing considered is how popular the song or artist is. This seems especially true with modern pop releases in RB4 that are sometimes tedious to play.

The RB3 era still got plenty of less known DLC especially with the RBN still alive at the time. Even 2012 had its fair share of deep cuts as normal DLC like Death on Two Legs and most of the Maiden Epics pack.

Before anyone brings up how many Queen songs we have, note that you could still easily create packs of hits with songs not in RB.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 16
    Vexus said:

The piano intro with her vocals though is so .. yuck.. easiest way to put it.

What's really yuck about it is that it's probably going to be alt-charted to guitar. :(
    Only the intro which to me is acceptable since there’s no guitar for over 30 seconds. If they chart keys later in the song then I’ll agree with you since there’s guitar for the rest.

Edit: just seen you enjoyed the song overall though! High five! :)
  • jkald said:

I think if you take out the pressure to put in hit songs the focus shifts to songs that are fun to play which is why I think I gravitate towards the more obscure stuff. Obviously there's overlap, but at the end of the day if it's not fun to play why am I playing it? Like that Richard Thompson song was probably pretty obscure for a lot of people, but it's got one of the best guitar solos in the game and a lot of the non English songs are great too.
    Agree 100% with this, especially your final sentence. Found out about The Way That It Shows from a comment on reddit and it's got a great chart. And the Juanes pack, Hay Poco Rock & Roll, and Dame Aire, for example, are super fun to play.
  • jkald said:

I think if you take out the pressure to put in hit songs the focus shifts to songs that are fun to play which is why I think I gravitate towards the more obscure stuff. Obviously there's overlap, but at the end of the day if it's not fun to play why am I playing it? Like that Richard Thompson song was probably pretty obscure for a lot of people, but it's got one of the best guitar solos in the game and a lot of the non English songs are great too.
    Concepts like obscurity and mainstream appeal immediately stifle a lot of genres in terms of what's possible. Progressive rock is an immediately obvious example here, as there aren't many progressive bands that your average person could name (compounded further by the fact that Pink Floyd has, as far as I know, ruled out being in a game like RB). Sure, nobody's going to pick up DLC by a band that's pretty much a non-entity in the public eye (short of Harmonix giving it away - hence the Discover packs) but it does crush the variety of potential songs in the game if we're limited to just chart hits.

• "Disc" setlists have the right idea about variety, sure some say RB4's setlist is a bit too obscure but honestly that just says a lot about how dedicated HMX is to keeping the library intact. A less obscure version of the RB4 setlist with the same artists would feature at least some rewinds.
  • edited May 16
    Vexus said:

jkald said:

Concepts like obscurity and mainstream appeal immediately stifle a lot of genres in terms of what's possible. Progressive rock is an immediately obvious example here, as there aren't many progressive bands that your average person could name (compounded further by the fact that Pink Floyd has, as far as I know, ruled out being in a game like RB). Sure, nobody's going to pick up DLC by a band that's pretty much a non-entity in the public eye (short of Harmonix giving it away - hence the Discover packs) but it does crush the variety of potential songs in the game if we're limited to just chart hits.

Personally, I think the Discover packs are great and I'm grateful for free DLC but most of them err on the side of caution and usually aren't overtly progressive or genre-bending unless the songs come from Harmonix in-house bands.

Take the Ministry packs for example. The first has lesser known songs and for me, at least on drums, they're all fun. The second pack released near RB3, if I remember correctly, has absoutely more well-known tracks but perhaps slightly less fun to play (on drums at least). I felt a shift there.

But again, I'm glad we get free tracks and rewinds and that there is an amazing library that I'm still acquiring every week. Hopefully something that blows me away will come again and we can continue this insanity forever!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited May 16
    tnevaker said:

HMXOwl said:

If you want to be objective about it, the one time DLC DID end, we were all told it was ending. Which means statistically, every time you suspect or feel it's ending, it's not! Phew!

the last time DLC ended, the announcement that it was going to end was preceded by several weeks of re-released tracks (from Blitz) and an ongoing general reduction of newly available songs that led many people in the forum to worry that DLC might be coming to an end.
    But even in those final months, we got an Aerosmith 6-pack, five tracks for Valentine's Day, and a couple of 3-packs. I don't see that happening that close to the end this time around.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 16
    BachiG said:

BachiG said:

HMXOwl said:

There are many weeks we've had that are much worse than this hypothetical one, but for the sake of not making things super negative, let's just agree that musical taste is subjective, and one's "worst week ever" is another's "best week ever."