Artists who have only ever appeared on disc (no DLC yet)

Comments

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    MemoDLSG said:

GLaDOS said:

Even though somewhere between some and all of the RBVR artists will come to RB4 as DLC eventually, I went ahead and added them to the list.

I'm sure it will make it even more confusing once they do come as DLC as far as how to annotate this list at that time, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it I 'spose.

If we're counting a spinoff as on-disc, and the rerelease of the on-disc song as not-enough-DLC to take them off this list, shouldn't we count artists like the Jackson 5? On-disc on Lego and Unplugged; the Unplugged song came later as DLC to the main platform but it's still only the two songs included in the games, right?

(The more you think about it, the more complicated this list becomes...)
    Fair point. While I consider RBVR closer to something like Lego than to something like Unplugged, it does seem pretty arbitrary for me to decide one is more "worthy" than the other.

The options I'm seeing here are to either
    A. Only consider games that feed into the "Core" Rock Band platform, all the ones that feed into the most current form of Rock Band, which RBVR would not
    or
    B. Use the Unplugged scenario you mentioned as a precedent, and continue that by removing any artists that get their only song rereleased through Rewind like Ratt.

The question is which one makes this list more useful/interesting. But you're totally right, as it is the list is inconsistent.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited March 2017
    I say limit it to only console games. Maybe if you want have a separate section for other games but it seems pointless if they don't play with RB4.

RBVR will to a degree. Unplugged does not.
  • Mumford and Sons break out of disc-only territory as I Will Wait is now releasing as DLC and VR at the same time!
    Went ahead and removed all the VR exclusive artists for now since they don't tie into the main RB platform.

And as already mentioned, congrats to Mumford & Sons for making it onto the storefront! Hopefully next time we get a DLC song from them it'll be one I actually like, but good to see them get more content nonetheless.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Wow, we haven't gotten one of these in a while, but The Warning can now be taken off. Definitely didn't think this one would ever be marked off, haha.
    Yup I did not ever expect this either but with the addition of "Survive" we finally take another band off the list. Congrats to "The Warning"
  • GLaDOS said:

Yup I did not ever expect this either but with the addition of "Survive" we finally take another band off the list. Congrats to "The Warning"

Now if only we could get MOAR from that ever elusive band that we've all been dying for some DLC ever since they were featured on a Rock Band disc.

Abnormality
    Dunno why this is getting LOL-reacts. Mechanisms of Omniscience heckin' bangs.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Because the spoiler tag reveals a hilarious TWIST!
    And if you don't get the reference, you are lucky, because I don't need to hear anyMOAR about that band EVAR
  • edited May 15

Because the spoiler tag reveals a hilarious TWIST!
    And if you don't get the reference, you are lucky, because I don't need to hear anyMOAR about that band EVAR

No, I get it. I just think it's very unfair to judge that particular band's entire discography based on that one specific song.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I didn't see it as a slam on "Abnormality", but you're right, it sort-of is: "here's an artist no one would actually like"!
    That chart looks absolutely ridiculous on guitar, and watching videos of people playing it, I can't get a feel for the timing of it. Even if my fret fingers could move that quickly (which they cannot). Though if you read the YouTube comments* you'll find that several people think it's "actually pretty easy". And I LOVED singing it, since it's charted as a talkie I was able to give it a unique interpretation.

* never ever read the comments on YouTube
  • Why the hell did they pick Visions, when Epitomize the Weak from the same demo is way better (riff at 1:14 and the ending are CRAZY!). It sounds straight out of a Cryptopsy album.

I didn't see it as a slam on "Abnormality", but you're right, it sort-of is: "here's an artist no one would actually like"!
    That chart looks absolutely ridiculous on guitar, and watching videos of people playing it, I can't get a feel for the timing of it. Even if my fret fingers could move that quickly (which they cannot). Though if you read the YouTube comments* you'll find that several people think it's "actually pretty easy". And I LOVED singing it, since it's charted as a talkie I was able to give it a unique interpretation.

The guitar chart has a trick to it: At the beginning you have to strum at the same speed non-stop (either fast or really fast). The slams at the middle are easy. The hardest part is the ending, it's an endurance test on your fretting hand, but even if you can't hit the quick HO-POs the strummed notes should keep you alive to the end.

Anyway, who had the idea of having a brutal death metal song on RB2? not even regular death metal.
  • ...should I just start an Abnormality thread in USL at this rate? :lol:
  • Vexus said:

...should I just start an Abnormality thread in USL at this rate? :lol:

A brutal death metal thread

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior

And I LOVED singing it, since it's charted as a talkie I was able to give it a unique interpretation.

The real question is, does your interpretation beat the Billy Mays interpretation?
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    edited May 15
    Hmm... Animal Flag... I don't know if it really counts, but Animal Flag's debut album, LP, is awesome. It has a bunch of great indie guitarcentric tracks on it, and I've listened to it a lot. I would like to see more from them, someday.

PS: LP is choose your own price on Bandcamp (i.e. free if you're a cheapskate).
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    I would definitely buy more Abnormality, as with similarly “unpopular” HMX groups on the forums like Megasus, Lightning Bolt and Made in Mexico
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    hiimSMAP said:

I would definitely buy more Abnormality, as with similarly “unpopular” HMX groups on the forums like Megasus, Lightning Bolt and Made in Mexico

Same, Red Lottery is my jam
  • hiimSMAP said:

Same, Red Lottery is my jam
    The only damn thing I can FC on GH2
  • tiagosouzatiagosouza Unsigned
    Nightwish RB3
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

Nightwish RB3

Nightwish wasn't on-disc on RB3, and was only DLC. Though I definitely feel we need more Nightwish, it's kinda weird how they WEREN'T on-disc in hindsight, what with all the keys and harmonies and all that.
  • edited May 16

Nightwish RB3

Nightwish wasn't on-disc on RB3, and was only DLC. Though I definitely feel we need more Nightwish, it's kinda weird how they WEREN'T on-disc in hindsight, what with all the keys and harmonies and all that.
    RB3 was the perfect time for symphinic metal and what did we get? Evanescence (which arguably doesn't even count), a very watered down Nightwish track and some RBN stuff.

Not bitter tho...
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Vexus said:

Nightwish RB3

RB3 was the perfect time for symphinic metal and what did we get? Evanescence (which arguably doesn't even count), a very watered down Nightwish track and some RBN stuff.

Not bitter tho...
    We need Kokko Eagle Of Fire back.. :(
  • edited May 16
    Vexus said:

Nightwish RB3

symphinic metal
    Oh, that's my favorite metal genre!

Jokes aside, yeah, the RB3 era could have worked well with symphonic metal; Versailles, Nightwish, Within Temptation, I feel there'd be an audience for that.

(pls ignore my poor formatting :c)
  • RBN got a lot of Amberian Dawn, they were like the RBN equivalent of Foo Fighters in terms of supporting the franchise.
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act
    If I had to narrow it to 5:

Give me more of

- Bryan Adams
    - Dire Straits
    - Halestorm
    - The Outfield (Winning It All)
    - Survivor
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    braves22 said:

Give me more of

- Bryan Adams
    - Dire Straits
    - Halestorm
    - Survivor

Are those just your "realistic" picks?
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act

braves22 said:

Give me more of

- Bryan Adams
    - Dire Straits
    - Halestorm
    - Survivor

Are those just your "realistic" picks?
    Just thinking of specific tracks among the 5 I wouldn't mind putting in my library....tbh, I never heard of some of the bands on the list prior to RB and some I only ever play again if they end up in game on random play.