DLC Discussion Thread: The Strokes and The Warning!

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 16
    BachiG said:

BachiG said:

HMXOwl said:

You never know when I might purposely prompt a discussion to take back to people here.

Norwegian death funk. That is all.
    That will be the worst week of DLC. Ever.
    By the way, @FritzyKatz gets me ... @NightmareLyre, @LiveHomeVideo, @pontoonboatfire and @Vexus ...maybe not so much.
    There are many weeks we've had that are much worse than this hypothetical one, but for the sake of not making things super negative, let's just agree that musical taste is subjective, and one's "worst week ever" is another's "best week ever."
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

BachiG said:

BachiG said:

HMXOwl said:

You never know when I might purposely prompt a discussion to take back to people here.

Norwegian death funk. That is all.
    That will be the worst week of DLC. Ever.
    By the way, @FritzyKatz gets me ... @NightmareLyre, @LiveHomeVideo, @pontoonboatfire and @Vexus ...maybe not so much.
    There are many weeks we've had that are much worse than this hypothetical one, but for the sake of not making things super negative, let's just agree that musical taste is subjective, and one's "worst week ever" is another's "best week ever."
    I know... I was being comical... I thought it was obvious enough based on the conversation thus far that I didn’t need the lol at the end, but I realize tone doesn’t come through a forum post very well.

Oh, :smile:
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 17

Don't know why the first 2 songs are eligible?
  • Surprised it's through 2008. Figured they would have cut off at the rock band 2 release. That being said all 3 of these bands (not counting urban) were in rock band by the end of 08

Don't know why the first 2 songs are eligible?

Yeah that seems odd. I can see the case for Start a Band, since Rock Band's slogan is "Start a Band, Rock the World," but even then that's kinda stretching it for the sake of having an on-disc song in the theme. Collide seems like an odd fit since it was originally an RBN song to begin with.
  • edited May 17
    For those who are confused on the Spotlight songs. Both @grumblevolcano and @LiveHomeVideo. I think the two were chosen because the bands who did them had songs during the 2007-2008 season.

- Collide: Anarchy Club was on the Rock Band 1 tracklist, with the song Blood Doll. Rock Band 1 was released in 2007.
    - Start a Band: Like @LiveHomeVideo stated, the Start a Band, Rock the World slogan. But also, we have gotten the first Brad Paisley song on 2008 via the first Going Country pack (in December 2008).

@pontoonboatfire is right that all 3 of these artists has been in Rock Band in the 2008 era. (Except for Keith Urban, who has his first song in 2009).

Well, can't complain much, because I have all 3 of those songs in my library. Which means, I've saved money this week. :)
  • Didn't they once do a week with no on-disc song and get flak for it? That's why there's an on-disc song at all. Start A Band is there for the tie to the series slogan and the lyrics being about starting out as a band, which is kind of a nod to the old-timers.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner

For those who are confused on the Spotlight songs. Both @grumblevolcano and @LiveHomeVideo. I think the two were chosen because the bands who did them had songs during the 2007-2008 season.

- Collide: Anarchy Club was on the Rock Band 1 tracklist, with the song Blood Doll. Rock Band 1 was released in 2007.
    - Start a Band: Like @LiveHomeVideo stated, the Start a Band, Rock the World slogan. But also, we have gotten the first Brad Paisley song on 2008 via the first Going Country pack (in December 2008).

@pontoonboatfire is right that all 3 of these artists has been in Rock Band in the 2008 era. (Except for Keith Urban, who has his first song in 2009).

Well, can't complain much, because I have all 3 of those songs in my library. Which means, I've saved money this week. :)

Collide was also a bonus track on either GH1 or GH2 so maybe it’s included under the logic that it sort of predates Rock Band?
  • edited May 17

Collide was also a bonus track on either GH1 or GH2 so maybe it’s included under the logic that it sort of predates Rock Band?
    Gotta represent those Hmx house bands if the theme is rock band year 1
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Vexus said:

Didn't they once do a week with no on-disc song and get flak for it? That's why there's an on-disc song at all. Start A Band is there for the tie to the series slogan and the lyrics being about starting out as a band, which is kind of a nod to the old-timers.

Yep, it was a given a RB4 disc song would be a spotlight. We are all tired of that set list but it is no surprise. And the “start a band” choice makes sense.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Maybe re-licensing Reptilia means more Strokes DLC in the future? Please?
    Vexus said:

Didn't they once do a week with no on-disc song and get flak for it? That's why there's an on-disc song at all. Start A Band is there for the tie to the series slogan and the lyrics being about starting out as a band, which is kind of a nod to the old-timers.

I mean I figured this, and I am glad they do have something available to everyone in the spotlight. I'm really more confused about Collide, though if the challenge includes all songs by artists that had DLC in 2008, that makes more sense, then.
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned

Vexus said:

I mean I figured this, and I am glad they do have something available to everyone in the spotlight. I'm really more confused about Collide, though if the challenge includes all songs by artists that had DLC in 2008, that makes more sense, then.
    It makes sense to include all songs by artists that had DLC in 2008. That will give people more songs to play this week. Limiting it to only the songs they had in 2008 is probably too narrow.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    tdc002 said:

Not a bad theory seeing as several bands with rewind releases later got new dlc. But in all seriousness, how the hell have we not gotten Last Night in the 11 years this shindig has been going?
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Collide is a GH2 bonus song from HMX's best house band, IMHO. Once I got into RB1 and heard "Get Clean" I HAD TO find out more about Anarchy Club. Ended up buying all their CD's from some indie music site and freaking LOVE them all.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Witticus said:

tdc002 said:

Not a bad theory seeing as several bands with rewind releases later got new dlc. But in all seriousness, how the hell have we not gotten Last Night in the 11 years this shindig has been going?
    "Last Nite" or "Someday" are both big omissions in the library. I'd love to get some stuff off First Impressions of Earth, but I know that album wasn't as big as their first two. I think Guitar Hero might have gotten a song off that album at some point?
  • Collide in the spotlight? Woohoo! As if I need another reason to play it MOAR (love the tune, in case it wasn't clear :) )
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    So I already have "these" releases, but I'm not complaining. I'm buying songs in my wishlist! I went shopping for Rb songs today and yesterday and was delighted at how many songs I had intended on buying at one time. I usually have to buy Spotlight songs. ( many of which I don't even like. ) So....It's kind of a blessing actually. I'm buying songs I really want, and my newb friends are buying songs they've wanted and couldn't get. It all works out.
    thx hmx. <3
  • So it looks like the challenges are going to be:
    2007-2008
    2012-2013
    2015-2016
    2017-2018

Like @MemoDLSG suggested in the prediction thread.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    edited May 17
    Checked wikipedia to get some numbers with your predictions :
    2007 - 2008 - 32 + 341 dlc = 373 songs minimum for this challenge
    2009 - 435 dlc
    2010 - 325 dlc
    2011 - 305 dlc
    2012 - 2013 - 209 + 41 = 250 dlc
    2015 - 2016 - 85 + 173 = 258 dlc
    2017 - 2018 - 135 + 48 = 183 dlc (so far, will include a few more by the time we get there)
    I hope every week will get songs from the games because the more we move forward this season, the less songs we'll get to play and i like to have a lot of songs in my challenges, i usually play between 250 and 300 songs a week and i try not to play the same songs over and over because of less xp per play. But i think we have seen smaller quantity challenges so far so it's kinda good how it is split (if it's exactly the way it's going to be because right now it's still pure speculations)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    rkbdgurl said:

So I already have "these" releases, but I'm not complaining. I'm buying songs in my wishlist! I went shopping for Rb songs today and yesterday and was delighted at how many songs I had intended on buying at one time. I usually have to buy Spotlight songs. ( many of which I don't even like. ) So....It's kind of a blessing actually. I'm buying songs I really want, and my newb friends are buying songs they've wanted and couldn't get. It all works out.
    thx hmx. <3 </p>

You don’t have the song by The Warning @rkbdgurl .
    It’s free too! So go ahead and buy some off your wishlist too ;)!
  • patl175 said:

Checked wikipedia to get some numbers with your predictions :
    2007 - 2008 - 32 + 341 dlc = 373 songs minimum for this challenge
    2009 - 435 dlc
    2010 - 325 dlc
    2011 - 305 dlc
    2012 - 2013 - 209 + 41 = 250 dlc
    2015 - 2016 - 85 + 173 = 258 dlc
    2017 - 2018 - 135 + 48 = 183 dlc (so far, will include a few more by the time we get there)
    I hope every week will get songs from the games because the more we move forward this season, the less songs we'll get to play and i like to have a lot of songs in my challenges, i usually play between 250 and 300 songs a week and i try not to play the same songs over and over because of less xp per play. But i think we have seen smaller quantity challenges so far so it's kinda good how it is split (if it's exactly the way it's going to be because right now it's still pure speculations)

The ingame store seems to suggest the RB1 and RB2 discs (including Spoonman and Give It Away) are playable this challenge. The AC/DC track pack will probably also be playable as that was released in 2008.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    For those of us that started on Wii I feel like this makes more sense since we ended up getting RB1 & RB2 about 6 months apart from each other.
    tdc002 said:

Witticus said:

tdc002 said:

"Last Nite" or "Someday" are both big omissions in the library. I'd love to get some stuff off First Impressions of Earth, but I know that album wasn't as big as their first two. I think Guitar Hero might have gotten a song off that album at some point?
    Yeah I can only assume at this point it's a stems thing. The album wasn't recorded entirely conventionally, and I know the producer purposefully left bleeding from the guitar and bass on the drum track for certain songs so who knows what else he may have done that makes this more difficult now (though they had the same producer for "Reptilia" and that one's fine.) I think the only Guitar Hero that ever got songs from it was GH Live so that doesn't exactly help the stems discussion.

If for some reason Is This It ends up being borked I'd personally be okay with later material, maybe "Threat of Joy" since it evokes the sound of their first album.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Survive was really fun on guitar! Has alt-charting (the piano intro) but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 17
    So key challenge info:
    - Start a Band and Collide are the only songs released first in RB later than 2008
    - Promotion to Gold is 55+
    - RB1, AC/DC and RB2 discs are included
    - Like mentioned above, Spoonman and Give It Away are included
    - There's a new XB1 system update out today

So key challenge info:
    - Start a Band and Collide are the only songs released first in RB later than 2008
    - Promotion to Gold is 55+
    - RB1, AC/DC and RB2 discs are included
    - Like mentioned above, Spoonman and Give It Away are included
    - There's a new XB1 system update out today

Add to that a new PS4 system update as well.

Also just wanted to chime in and say that Survive is a fun song, and I'm glad to have gotten it! The outro on guitar caught me by surprised, but overall it's a blast to play.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    First time in months I am not buying any of the Weekly Sale songs.

That’s because I already own 4 out of 5. And I am not that into Dream Theater, don’t really play the two songs of theirs I own.
  • eddielagatoeddielagato Unsigned
    djb5f1 said:

First time in months I am not buying any of the Weekly Sale songs.

That’s because I already own 4 out of 5. And I am not that into Dream Theater, don’t really play the two songs of theirs I own.

I've got 5 out of 5 myself, think this is the first week this happened