What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it, but the scene with thor and hulk after the big fight, and the part with banner and thor after banner comes back.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it, but the scene with thor and hulk after the big fight, and the part with banner and thor after banner comes back.

EXACTLY

heck, even the scene before the big fight...

but it's just nitpicking at this point for me. I still really enjoyed it
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Loving Vincent

I hadn't heard of this movie until I saw it was coming to the movie theater where I live, but I immediately wanted to see how it was, because the idea of a film with a rotoscoped style based on Vincent Van Gogh's paintings sounded fascinating, as well as the promise of a compelling murder mystery. And the film did not disappoint; in fact it surpassed expectations. I love how they tackle how the society around him bullied and discriminated him, and how that affected his mental health. And the mystery managed to be rather compelling as well. That's not even mentioning how great the animation is; you can tell so much effort was made into making this look unique, and also working as a coherent art style.

If you find a way to view this one, I recommend it for any fan of art, or even people who just like a good mystery and/or want to see films that tackle social issues that still go on today.

9/10
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    I saw Infinity War last night. I don't know if it was the BEST MCU movie but it was almost definitely the most intense. Despite it's 2:20ish runtime and my sugarblood status, I stayed right in my seat until the credits started rolling. Then I waited until the upward credit scroll to make sure there wasn't an intra-credit scene. Then I hightailed it to the bathroom and back to make sure I didn't miss the post-credits scene, of which there is one.

Gonna watch it again tomorrow with friends.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Just saw it.

I'd like to say, no spoilers, I really appreciated the lengths they went to for spoiler management. Trailers spliced milsleading particapants in certain events, stuff like that. Hell, even the banner image for my digital ticket has a big misleading thing front and center.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    My wife bought us tickets to Infinity War for Sunday. Ugh, I have no interest in this one, and I'm tired of the whole franchise.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Yeah, my wife and I have plans to go today... so we caught up on some of the more recent mcu movies we missed. And the most recent mega team one (civil war) was just. Awful. My expectation level is super low.
  • On the topic of Infinity War, I went to see it yesterday, actually. As a person that hasn't watched about 90% of the MCU, I thoroughly enjoyed it! It holds up very well on its own even if you haven't seen every single other film, and there's some really interesting things throughout it, some great character development, Thanos was a great villain, and there's a healthy blend of high-stakes action and comedy as well.

I'm not gonna lie though, two-to-three superhero films every year just from one studio seems... excessive, to say the least. I do, however, appreciate the fact they're fleshing out the universe, making it have more depth and lore and backstory - pardon for the pun, but it is really a marvel as to how the entire franchise has been carefully crafted to tell this long, on-going story. As an online roleplayer that has created many, many worlds to such depth, I think that's the single greatest thing about any of the films, the attention to continuity and detail throughout.
    I was pleasantly surprised. It was quite good, in large part because of the comedic bits.
    edited May 17
    Just had a very tired religious experience, but instead of typing it all again I'll just post to my Twitter post about it, because I'm tired, it's 4:20 AM here and I need sleep.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Just watched Drive Angry, its by far the best Nicolas Cage movie and its super bad cheesy CGI special effects only makes it better, 10/10 violent live action cartoon for sure
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    my favorite nick cage movie is and always will be national treasure, and I don't care what anyone else thinks about that :)
    Come on now, "Red Rock West" is the all time best Nick Cage movie.
    Drive Angry has this in it, and isn't even the most over-the-top part of that movie. As thus, I have to agree that Drive Angry wins.
  • Deadpool 2 - not as good as the first one, but still good. Really liked the ending, but all the breaking the fourth wall gags got to be a bit much. Still good summer popcorn fare. 8/10
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The trailer for the Freddy Mercury biopic looks amazing. The movie is skipping all mention of the AIDS crisis: interesting.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

The trailer for the Freddy Mercury biopic looks amazing. The movie is skipping all mention of the AIDS crisis: interesting.

Which i sort of hoped they'd touch upon. I prefer seeing more about his life then knowing what the band's feelings were after he passed (which is what a read the script will be about.. )
    If that is the end of the movie then it'll drop at least 2-3 points (depending how well the rest of the movie is) for me. I don't care their feelings.. I'm sure they've said in plenty of interviews at this point.
    edited May 28
    Just watched the new Star Wars movie, and didn't really like it. The pacing was kind of in "Constant Third Act" mode, making it tiresome. There's also a comic relief character that I'm rather annoyed is treated the way she is. Lando could've used more screentime (I know it's the Han Solo movie and there's talks of a Lando one as well, but him being a rather minor character in this feels like a letdown all the same).

And then there's the spoilery twist which, even if I won't specify here despite the spoiler wrapping, made me question why they decided that THIS was an appropriate twist to add in. I heard about something about making part of the extended universe re-canonized, but dammit why does it have to be that!?

3/10, my least favorite Star Wars film.

Just watched the new Star Wars movie, and didn't really like it. The pacing was kind of in "Constant Third Act" mode, making it tiresome. There's also a comic relief character that I'm rather annoyed is treated the way she is. Lando could've used more screentime (I know it's the Han Solo movie and there's talks of a Lando one as well, but him being a rather minor character in this feels like a letdown all the same).

And then there's the spoilery twist which, even if I won't specify here despite the spoiler wrapping, made me question why they decided that THIS was an appropriate twist to add in. I heard about something about making part of the extended universe re-canonized, but dammit why does it have to be that!?

4/10, my least favorite Star Wars film.
    They aren't recanonizing the EU, but the Clone Wars and Rebels shows are canon.
    I personally don't want that convoluted stuff anywhere near the main line.
    My expectations for "Solo" were really low. The way I read it, the original directors shot it like a fully improvised goofy joke-fest and DIsney hated it and they brought in Ron Howard to re-shoot most of it. Surely it was going to suck.

But then it didn't suck, and I laughed or at least smiled a few times, so OK. It was a good palate-cleanser to "The Last Jedi" (which I also didn't hate, mostly). Instead of a Star Wars movie that questions everything you know about how a Star Wars movie works, it gives you nothing you haven't seen before, and the most literal interpretation of things mentioned only in passing in other movies. With zero subtext or subversion of tropes.

I liked it more than any of the prequels, because at no point did I say, "WOW I hate that, that is SO dumb". At worst, I rolled my eyes a few times. It's completely inessential / skippable. If you are a Star Wars fan and are pressured into going to see it, don't fight hard: you'll survive the experience.

How's that for faint praise?
    I finally watched "The Incredibles" the other night. It was good.

1?
    Yes, quite

1?
    Yes, quite
    I can't believe it's taken this long. It's one of my favorite movies.
    I'd been meaning to for quite a while.
    So I watched "Bad Mom's Christmas" last night. I can't decide if I give it a D+ or a C-. It's not a good movie at all. It's trying hard to be an intentionally bad movie, but it mostly misses the mark and isn't nearly as good as the first Bad Mom's movie. But to be fair, I did stick it out until the end and I did laugh pretty hard at some of the jokes.

So maybe it's a C-
    So Solo is the first Ron Howard movie I've been to in some time in which it didn't bore me to sleep (I think the last one was Apollo 13?), so that's a good thing!

Otherwise I would suggest that this movie is Perfectly Serviceable. Maybe a little too fanservice-y, and John Powell reused far too much of the original score for my taste. Replacement Han felt very Han-ish if not very Harrison-ish, but that's a good thing. Donald Glover made for a fantastic Lando. They covered too much of (what we know of) Han's backstory here, though; I think it would have been better if they left out a few gaps here and there (I was kind of hoping he made the Kessel Run in like 16 parsecs and he'd say something along the lines of, 'I can do better')--though obviously this had to be the movie in which he learned to shoot first (thankfully never actually verbalized).

I honestly wanted to see what Lord & Miller's version would have been like, since they were the original reason I was excited for the movie. Sadly, I guess that'll never surface.
    I'm willing to believe the original version was terrible but I am indeed Very Curious what it was like.

Who came up with the idea to use diagetic music for the Empire recruiting billboard, I wonder?

I'm willing to believe the original version was terrible but I am indeed Very Curious what it was like.

Who came up with the idea to use diagetic music for the Empire recruiting billboard, I wonder?

I thought that was pretty cute, personally. That cue I didn't mind too much. I would have preferred leitmotifs I didn't associate with the Rebel Alliance in particular, or in particular the original Star Wars theme.

Michael Giacchino may have thrown together the Rogue One score at the last minute, and it may not be the most memorable of his scores, but he had the right idea: allude heavily but don't directly quote unless there's something that ties it to the Skywalker Saga in general. If he had had more time to work on it I'm certain he would have gotten it bang on.
    I just wanted to know who to give credit, I thought that was fun + clever. And cheeky.
    LoopyChew said:

I honestly wanted to see what Lord & Miller's version would have been like, since they were the original reason I was excited for the movie. Sadly, I guess that'll never surface.

This what I went though when Edgar Wright was taken off Ant-Man. I still haven't bothered to watch it, and I was super hyped when Wright was initially given the job.

Same for Guillermo del Toro and The Hobbit.

On the bright side, it's entirely possible we wouldn't have gotten Baby Driver or The Shape of Water if they had been left on those megamovies.