Freestyle Guitar Scoring

LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
I don't remember and I can't pick the right search terms to find anything on it, but do freestyle guitar solos not count for the leaderboards? I know they don't count for Spotlight Score, and they seem to be working fine for Rivals XP. But I played GG&HT with freestyle and almost GSed it, got to send 7 taunts, and racked up about 500k+ in score, but when I check the leaderboard afterwards it still shows my Hard 5* score.

TIA.

Comments

• nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    It was disabled from posting to both leaderboards and Spotlight scores quite awhile ago.

It was supposed to be temporary, so they could fix some scoring issue they found. But there has never been any announcement as to when the fix would take place.

It seems "the twelfth of never is when it will be fixed and that's a long long time"
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Thanks. I couldn't remember.

The good news is that I can taunt those same 7 people over and over and over again until they finally fix this!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I hope this fix is in the next patch. Freestyle solos was one of the main new features in RB4. It's kinda weird to have such a big feature left totally pointless.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    But the fact that it’s been absent in most dlc in the past half year anyway ... shows how much they still consider it a feature they’re interested in supporting.

I would honestly be less surprised if the next patch removed them entirely, than the next patch fixing their leaderboard instances. I think they’ve crossed hmx’s point of ‘more trouble than they’re worth’.
  • I haven't used freestyle solos since they patched out the button to turn them on/off mid song. Also they play a whole beat after I press the buttons.
    Wildcat15 said:

I haven't used freestyle solos since they patched out the button to turn them on/off mid song. Also they play a whole beat after I press the buttons.

Yeah, their failure to properly mesh with calibration has always been a huge issue. If you’ve got a high calibration you have to play in a way that doesn’t match the screen prompts at all (you need to get way ahead) to maintain streak.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star

But the fact that it’s been absent in most dlc in the past half year anyway ... shows how much they still consider it a feature they’re interested in supporting.

It was never going to be a feature the majority used, but I still think the biggest obstacles to anyone who tried the feature were the delay and just the general sound quality of the samples.

The delay probably is the best it could be considering technology.

Sound quality was disappointing. Obviously they couldn't match the samples to hundreds of different songs, but the included sounds were/are too processed and fake to use consistently. You're never going to get the same sound as specific equipment but there have been a lot of strides made in guitar and amp modeling, so it's just a shame that RB implementation was so weak. It's great idea in theory.
  • I don't think they'll be removed from RB4, but they're not getting supported anymore in DLC (mind you, very little recent DLC has called for them in the first place) and I don't see them coming back if we get an RB5. I also don't see them getting fixed any time soon.

Shame, because they're a fun addition and had the potential to work amazingly well with some tweaks.
  • Freestyle solos were largely improved and expanded with RBVR's main gameplay type at least judging by gameplay footage. While that improved tech isn't coming to RB4 (was confirmed last year), I do think the scoring bug will be fixed.
  • Stryfe212Stryfe212 Unsigned
    Well if it's not coming back, can I please have my tone switch back on the guitar so I can have some variety when playing songs?
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Wow, it has?! I honestly haven't even used it since they disabled posting scores. Plus before that, I only ever used it on super difficult, devil tiered songs, and there haven't been a ton of those as DLC.
  • edited May 17
    tdc002 said:

Wow, it has?! I honestly haven't even used it since they disabled posting scores. Plus before that, I only ever used it on super difficult, devil tiered songs, and there haven't been a ton of those as DLC.
    I think the last time we had dlc with freestyle solos was the Alice in chains pack, and before that we weren't getting it all the time.
    Don't all guitar solos automatically turn into freestyle solos? So does this mean the DLC songs we get now pretty much don't have guitar solos marked?
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star

Don't all guitar solos automatically turn into freestyle solos? So does this mean the DLC songs we get now pretty much don't have guitar solos marked?

I kinda miss the freestyle guitar solos, where I could change the sound of the original song a bit... putting my own lil spin on it.

Since the decision to remove XP or whatever, I just turned off guitar solos for all songs. Here's hoping Harmonix fixes the scoring issues with it.
    edited May 17

It wasn’t automatic, there was a conversion process that they put all catalog songs through, for freestyle guitar and freestyle vocal - both of which they’ve stopped doing for most dlc recently.

Songs still have the charted solos (as rarer as they may be), but the player winds up having to play the charted solo even if they have freestyle turned on.
    Graffin said:

Since the decision to remove XP or whatever, I just turned off guitar solos for all songs. Here's hoping Harmonix fixes the scoring issues with it.

They haven’t removed xp. In fact xp is pretty much the only reason you would play freestyle solos now. But they have removed leaderboard score posting for freestyled solo guitar songs. Which makes the ‘your locally stored best and your leaderboard stored best don’t match’ problem come out and play again, which I generally rather avoid. Hate it when my local console is ‘hiding’ that I have an improvable star result for a song because my local stars are greater than my leaderboard registered stars for a song.

They haven’t removed xp. In fact xp is pretty much the only reason you would play freestyle solos now. But they have removed leaderboard score posting for freestyled solo guitar songs.

Yup, I was playing GG&HT on expert for the Rivals XP, which logged the XP correctly. It gave me 5-stars and the opportunity to taunt friends, but didn't log my score. So I guess I can taunt those same friends each time I beat my hidden local score.