DLC Discussion Thread: Anamanaguchi and JoCo!

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 6/14: Anamanaguchi and Jonathan Coulton!

Anamanaguchi and Jonathan Coulton DLC comes to Rock Band 4 this week!

The first of Anamanaguchi’s Summer Singles releases, where the band released a new single every other week in the summer of 2010, “Airbrushed” is an excellent song from the band. There’s no vocals in this chiptune track, but the rest of the instruments are fun enough to make up for it. The guitar track is stuffed full of catchy melodies and high-energy chordal sections, while the drums are real tough. It’s an incredibly dense, moving track that’s sitting in the highest possible in-game tier.

“Code Monkey” marked success for Jonathan Coulton’s Thing a Week project, with its hyper-focus on tech industry woes endearing it to much of the internet. Later used as the theme song for a similarly named TV show, the song saw over a million downloads in its first year. The song leans into the comedy of the lyrics, so it’s tons of fun to sing, and the rest of the band serves as a foundation for the singer. In somewhat of a punk style, the song is kept energetic but straight-forward.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99.

• Anamanaguchi - "Airbrushed"
  • Jonathan Coulton - "Code Monkey"

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, June 14th.

Comments

• Great week!!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited June 12
    What?! Chiptune and novelty? Not my things. For $1, I might bite, but at $2, my RB4 buy-everything streak will be broken for the second week in a row.

(I mean, I like some JoCo, but was not priority at all for me from the RBN songs. Glad many others seem to enjoy these picks though!)
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Code Monkey like youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu a lot
  • Awesome! Those are definitely 2 RBN tracks that I really wanted back
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    Ugh. At least I have Country Song and World Turning back to tie me through another week. I look forward to new (and hit) songs soon.
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    Wasn't expecting Code Monkey. Nice surprise.
  • That was a major curveball, neither of these were released as DLC in 2012-2013 (Airbrushed was 2011 and Code Monkey was 2010). Both are good songs though.

This does make me concerned about the next 2 weeks of DLC though, I hoped that the pattern would guarantee RBVR songs for at least 1 of the next 2 weeks hence making season 6 the best season but the pattern doesn't exist anymore so maybe that won't be the case.
  • Rad. I understand you guys can't go gung-ho on the heavy hitters of RBN like Paralyizer by Finger Eleven and The Funeral by Band of Horses now. I'm gonna enjoy more stuff like this in the future. Hopefully you guys can get some of Neil Cicierega's stuff on there in the future.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    First rbn week that i only had one of these 2 songs, was code monkey ever released on ps3 because i don't remember ever listening to a preview of this song. Still happy for more rbn even if it's not on my wishlist, keep 'em coming hmx, we still have a lot that needs to make a comeback! Thanks
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I have a special weakness for Jonathan Coulton so I'm happy to throw $1.99 his way [he'll get at least .25 of that, right?]. And it's charted for harmony, cool.

I never was much of a chiptune fan, though after going to MAGFest for the past 5-6 years I'd now be happy to try playing one of them on Keys. I hope I own at least one such song on the RBN so I can play in in RB3 this week, in honor of this release.
  • TehRoachTehRoach Unsigned
    Numbers 24 and 78 on the sales list. Let's see if we can work our way down to the mid-500s (hint: Force Feedback)
  • So excited to get some JoCo back!! Airbrushed was definitely one of my most played RBN songs (mostly due to the amazing keys...) Excited to have that back too.
  • As for my challenge prediction, 2012-2013 with the following spotlights:
    Soul Remnants - "Dead Black (Heart of Ice)"
    Bullet For My Valentine - "Your Betrayal"
    Iron Maiden - "The Wicker Man"
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    Yes!! This is the kind of stuff I wanted to come back. I bought pretty much all the novelty songs that made it to PS3 and I love JoCo in general so I hope we see the rest of his songs make it over. Especially Ikea, Creepy Doll, and Betty and Me.
  • edited June 12
    Those songs sound like they should be free. So yeah, im not buying. I've been disappointed many times with the recent DLC, but this is by far the biggest disappointments yet.
  • Only one song with vocals? Gee, I wonder which will be the spotlight this week. Honestly, I was expecting "Buttersnips" by Periphery. Guess there's always next week.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i am Jack's complete and total indifference.
  • KainKain Unsigned
    Hoo-boy... Saw Code Monkey and thought, "Finally a step in the right direction. Maybe we'll get The Guild songs and The Motion Sick's 30 Lives soon." Then I listened to Airbrushed and thought, "Okay, they went so far in that direction, they took a nosedive off the side of the world." Chiptune is soooo not my thing. I may not sing in Rock Band, but if a song doesn't have vocals, I lose interest very fast. I need some kind of catchy lyrics that I can sing along to, even if it's only in my head.
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    Ugh, no.
  • (I owned neither of these on RBN.)

Immediately had alarm bells going off when I saw the word "chiptune" mentioned since I immediately thought "this will either be alt-charted to heck or just have a really bland guitar chart". Mercifully, Airbrushed looks like it might still be fun on guitar regardless, having seen a gameplay video of it from RB3. It is one for my maybe pile for now. Still, it's a pleasant surprise to still get instrumental tracks from time to time.

Been meaning to check out JoCo for a while and never got around to it, but the two packs that include his stuff are in my wishlist already. Might as well put this one in too, since it's a decent enough song.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    SO HYPED. I loved these songs on RBN and I'm super happy to have my JoCo back.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited June 12
    Damn... if there was a Jonathan Coulton song I was hoping it'd be Creepy Doll.

I'll still buy Code Monkey of course.

Never had the other one on the PS3, so I'll have to YouTube preview that one!
    (ok wow... no vocals... and, it's super awful... if it was a $1.25 i'd consider it, but at the full price of $2.95 it's the first track since RB4's release that I won't be buying)

Please give me an Unkindness (Fragments and Foundation... does anyone at HMX accept bribes?) :wink: