Bearstronaut

MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
edited December 2017 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Bearstronaut is yet another Boston-based group from the first batch of free Rivals songs we got, and one that deserves way more credit. I'm honestly surprised they haven't gotten a topic here yet, especially after their appearance on Jimmy Kimmel (a huge break for them) which I would hope boosted their popularity some. They played "Shadow" (their RB track) and "Gold" on Kimmel.

I just wrapped up listening to their debut album Telecoast, which has both of the aforementioned songs on it, and man, it's an extremely well-produced album with tons of killer hooks. The whole thing is just awash with rich '80s-influenced synths and grandiose production, and David Martineau (the band's lead singer) has even confirmed that Duran Duran is a big influence on them. They really have something going for them and some of their other songs would be amazing in Rock Band, even moreso than "Shadow", which is already pretty fun as it is (on drums, namely, but the guitar solo is easily one of my favorite solos to play in RB4).

Here's my ideal pack. Note that I haven't listened to anything outside of their debut album yet, and they do have quite a bit of EPs and singles that preceded the album, as they've been around for a decade now. But, this album alone has some killer songs that I'd love to see make it in. These four are probably my favorites from the album and would work very well in a RB setting. Check 'em out if you're interested :)

Telecoast Song Pack
Curaçao
Gold
Holding Out
Tucson

Comments

• Bearstronaut is yet another Boston-based group from the first batch of free Rivals songs we got, and one that deserves way more credit. I'm honestly surprised they haven't gotten a topic here yet, especially after their appearance on Jimmy Kimmel (a huge break for them) which I would hope boosted their popularity some. They played "Shadow" (their RB track) and "Gold" on Kimmel.

I just wrapped up listening to their debut album Telecoast, which has both of the aforementioned songs on it, and man, it's an extremely well-produced album with tons of killer hooks. The whole thing is just awash with rich '80s-influenced synths and grandiose production, and David Martineau (the band's lead singer) has even confirmed that Duran Duran is a big influence on them. They really have something going for them and some of their other songs would be amazing in Rock Band, even moreso than "Shadow", which is already pretty fun as it is (on drums, namely, but the guitar solo is easily one of my favorite solos to play in RB4).

Here's my ideal pack. Note that I haven't listened to anything outside of their debut album yet, and they do have quite a bit of EPs and singles that preceded the album, as they've been around for a decade now. But, this album alone has some killer songs that I'd love to see make it in. These four are probably my favorites from the album and would work very well in a RB setting. Check 'em out if you're interested :)

Telecoast Song Pack
    Curaçao
    Gold
    Holding Out
    Tucson

I'd make my Bearstronaut pack:
    Moniker
    Roger Was A Dancer
    Curacao or Holding Out

I prefer their older stuff oddly enough.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Yeah, like I said, I haven't delved into their pre-Telecoast stuff, though I'm very interested in doing so when I get the chance. After all, they've been around a whole decade, so I'm curious how their sound's evolved. I'm glad to see a fellow fan, though!

For the record, if I had listened to their entire discography like I did Ruby Rose Fox, I would have made the pack span more than just their debut album.
    edited March 2
    New Bearstronaut single got released today! I can vouch this sounds nothing like the Telecoast album. It's easily the heaviest song of theirs I've heard - there's a lot of distortion and it even has a bit of a gritty punk edge to it.
    edited June 21
    So, today I finally got around to finishing Bearstronaut's entire available discography! I say "available" because they have one album from 2009 that's virtually lost outside of one song ("Wire") that they re-recorded in 2013 - which sounds great, might I add. I got the opportunity to e-mail Dave Martineau of Bearstronaut recently and asked him about that record, and unfortunately he said they have no plans to bring it back from the vault since it's "not at all who they are now". I can respect that, and at least I can enjoy "Wire" from it!

I definitely think Telecoast is their best work yet, but their two EPs, Satisfied Violence and Paradice, were still enjoyable. Satisfied Violence I felt was a bit more guitar-oriented, with "Moniker" probably being the only one that lines up with their Telecoast sound. Paradice, on the other hand, was a very consistent EP and flowed nicely, with each track being pretty danceable, summery synthpop for the most part. Finally, the 2 remaining non-album singles I hadn't listened to yet, "Where I'll Die" and "It's New Year's (Or Never)" were pretty good also - the former definitely shows the band transitioning even further to the Telecoast sound, while the latter was more or less written to be a holiday song, and despite being a bit sentimental, it has some beautiful harmonies in it.

Anyway, I think it's only fair to make a second pack now that I've gone through the rest of their available stuff. Since I already covered Telecoast in the first pack I posted here, this 6-pack spans those 2 EPs and any additional songs I think would be fun in the game. For variety, I chose not to include any duplicates from @Dangimarocker's pack, either. Again, I highly recommend checking these out!

Bearstronaut 02
    Paradice (Entrapment)
    Passenger Side
    Sensual Sanctuary
    Where I'll Die
    Wire (Live from Fortune Studios)
    Working Nights (Tier by @LiveHomeVideo )

Also, I should mention - Martineau revealed in those e-mails that they have big plans to release more music this year...so stay tuned, all two of you Bearstronaut fans :p I'll post here again when they get released; he hinted that another new release may come in "a few weeks maybe".
    Another new Bearstronaut single, "Miracle Mile", is out now! I was hoping to see them explore some more of the punk elements found on "Working Nights", but this one is very tropical and almost reminds me of yacht rock, a genre I happen to enjoy a lot. Still, though, this is another different sound for them and they pull it off well!

Also, this Saturday they're playing a show in Cambridge with none other than Dutch ReBelle, another Boston local that we got a song from in Rock Band Rivals ("RudeBoys").