What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

OK, I never bought Overwatch, and the GOTY version is on sale for $19.99. Surely the Legendary version isn't worth paying 2x as much to get?

EDIT: OK the GOTY version isn't available to ship until the 27th ... yeah, it's a physical copy ... and the "anniversary event" will be over by then. I'll miss out on all of the exclusive skins from this!

Yeah I should just skip this game deal completely and go back to working on my backlog / playing games that I KNOW that I love.

EDIT2: fine, I bought it. The skins don't matter. The game itself is fun + this is the cheapest I have ever seen it. I would not be stunned if my "available May 27th" message turned into a "sorry, sold out, here's a refund" message in the next few days. We'll see!

Overwatch is fun as hell. I will say i absolutely love the Bowie-inspired glam skin for Moira too! (which i bought with coins right away)
    I just platinumed Conan Exiles.
    I had to "cheat" on some of the trophies because the game is far too glitchy or the trophy just was ridiculous. (reach the highest point. have to climb the entire volcano on ps4 for it pop)

Xbox users can activate fly mode and just fly up to the heavens. However Ps4 doesn't have a working fly mode LOL

The developers definitely had to encourage cheating with such a ridiculous trophy though.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Damn, I missed the latest 20% off coupon from live.playstation! It was only available for a few days (?) by completing a quest related to the new game "Detroit: Become Human".

If you DID snag one of these codes, makes sure to use it before it expires in a few days.

Damn, I missed the latest 20% off coupon from live.playstation! It was only available for a few days (?) by completing a quest related to the new game "Detroit: Become Human".

If you DID snag one of these codes, makes sure to use it before it expires in a few days.

I got one last week and used it on this past weeks RB DLC lol.
    Didn't really need the code but knew i was buying the RB DLC so was like might as well (plus I knew it was expiring quickly too)

• NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited July 1
    Started playing Fallout 4 again after a long hiatus, bought the season pass way back but haven't gotten to play around with the DLC stuff much until now but enjoying all the new building objects that comes with it. Decided to build a tiny hospital in my main settlement which I think turned out pretty neat looking

EDIT: Decided to make a Imgur gallery for my settlement building stuff, so might be updating that now and then
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Got my Platinum in Persona 5, having finished my second playthrough. Started up Horizon: Zero Dawn and played through the intro levels. People were not exaggerating about how beautiful it is.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I've been playing that baseball game that was free for XBox Live Gold members a month or so ago. something something Baseball 2.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act

I've been playing that baseball game that was free for XBox Live Gold members a month or so ago. something something Baseball 2.

ive been playing it as well, I liked the first one more, I miss the trainers that would boost your stats
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    All I know is that I can't hit for squat at Ego 99, even with a team of maxxed-out super-people versus a team of minned-out pansies!
    Just beat Life Is Strange: Before The Storm, thought it was better than the original in a lot of ways (even if I miss the really out there Sci-Fi/Horror stuff) because of the really sharp writing involved. Also enjoyed the Dungeons & Dragons minigame segments a lot, honestly want them to spin that off into its own game
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act

All I know is that I can't hit for squat at Ego 99, even with a team of maxxed-out super-people versus a team of minned-out pansies!

very few people can, I tried it once and only got one hit the whole game. lost 12-0

• razor63razor63 Unsigned
    edited July 5
    I played and finished Nier: Automata last week, all the way through Ending E. I have to say... it was alright? I don't think I got the same transformative experience most who play it say they did. I found everything just a little bland, wonky, or overdone bar the few parts I did actively like, but, there have been worse games, I guess?

I also finished my 4th playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition this week. Now there is a game I really like. Mind, it's not that fun to play (set the combat to the lowest difficulty, you will thank yourself for reducing the tedium of it). However, as an overall experience, I love the story and cast. Even when compared to other Bioware casts, I feel that Inquisition has one of the strongest they've ever written (Dorian is just the best etc.) and that the romances are pretty strong too. I get why people don't like it (the combat can be tedious, the exploration can be forced and unnatural, and some of the cast are very divisive), but I do really like it, and this playthrough reminded why.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    So because one of my oldest DDR partners has been playing Overwatch on PS4 and has bugged me into getting it, I've started playing it on PS4 (not like I was playing it much on PC). It's been enjoyable so far.
    I finally played "Fortnite". Just the free part. It was dumb fun. It seems to be more addictive than brilliant, though the people that are really good at it are fun to watch in action. I'm kind of curious about the real, full game, but I'm not really sure what it would get me. A story mode, with zombies and lots of trophies? Getting levels unlocked faster? But everything I'm going to unlock is purely aesthetics, right? Goofy clothing and cute weapon designs? Maybe it would just get me addicted even deeper (like my youngest nephew)(and millions of others). I'm wary.

I'm perfectly capable of getting addicted to games just by chasing trophies / level unlocks. For most of June I was playing "Burnout Paradise", alternating between the PS3 and PS4 version every day or so. SO MANY TROPHIES. Many of the PS3 trophies are newly available to me because I only bought the full version a few months ago, and also when I started playing [December 2008: my first PS3 trophies] I was a much weaker game player in general.
  • Which platform @Meat-Popsicle ?
    PS4. Yes, I know, they don't play well with others. Obviously if I do buy it I should get it on Steam instead, right? Surely I can use my Xbox 360 wired controller there.
    Oh, I guess I mean "on PC", since they don't offer Fortnite on Steam
  • It has to be done with a new Epic games account too if you want crossplay IIRC, the account used for PS4 has been banished to the shadow realm forever.
    I played more "Fortnite" last night. On the PS4! What am I thinking?!? There's no reason to invest any more time on that platform. OH but I guess I was trying to unlock some stuff before the season ended, and I was estimating that I might get there based on my progress from the night before. Is it over now? Did I officially fail? Bah. It's all just cosmetic stuff anyway, right? AND YET, I am compelled to earn it.

Looking at the high score list, it turns out that lots of people on my PS4 friends list play the game too. If there's a way to join them [and earn bonus XP for it] I should just stay on the PS4 after all.

I discovered the replay feature last night, I was just fascinated by being able to replay my death in super-slo-mo from multiple angles. I could watch heavy fire barely miss me from the side as I was totally focused on taking out the player in front of me. I could also see the times where I barely missed having an encounter with someone else.

I have at least as much fun watching a previous match on replay mode, or watching the person that killed me continue on with their game [how do people build structures SO FAST?!?], as I do actually playing. In real time, I'm in constant terror. I'm running or harvesting materials while cringing and waiting for an unseen bullet to find me, or hiding and remaining completely motionless, waiting for the bird song to be interrupted by approaching footsteps. The combat itself is over very quickly. There has to be some other game I'd enjoy even more, where harvesting + searching + building + hiding / avoiding combat are actually legitimate strategies. Suggestions?
  • I thought fortnite was the only battle royale with building.
    So me and @LiveHomeVideo just played Rock Revolution. I found it pre-owned at Gamestop once for literally 2$ and haven't gotten around to testing it out before now, and oh boy does it lives up to its reputation!

Some highlights:
    -Calibration has audio and video baked into one setting, with a separate (only manually adjustable) slider for controller lag (whatever that does)
    -The menus all look like stock assets from a Unity prefab pack
    -Loading times up the wazzu
    -Strum lanes introduced in tutorial but seemingly never showing up in songs, such as Falling Away From Me and Chop Suey where they just don't chart the alt-strumming at all instead
    -NO HO/PO'S ON BASS (NO, REALLY)
    -Pretty sure songs desynced at several points, especially noticable in the outro to Walk and choruses to Given Up
    -Everything is super undercharted on Expert, with random intervals of sudden overcharting such as 3-note chords that would make GH3 blush in shame
    -No mention of artists/bands in song select, meaning even the two songs with masters (Given Up by Linkin Park and Paralyzer by Finger Eleven) are completely uncredited in-game
    -Speaking of, the cover versions are HILARIOUS. Apparently all male singers in the history of Rock music has a British accent, and all the instrumentation sounds like straight up Kids Bop covers. Only decent cover of the ones I played was Sk8erboi and even then the mixing was so bad you didn't hear the lead guitar that was charted during the bridge. The mixing also made Spoonman sound weirdly trve kvlt, while in Walk it also sounded like a really bad Black Metal vocalist doing the singing.
    -Only bad pre-made characters that looks like reality TV stars rather than actual musicians, and player 2 and 3 is not able to pick a character for some reason
    -Speaking of player 2 and 3, only player 1 is allowed to navigate menus, even when selecting songs in versus mode (no, really)
    -Hilarious GH Tunes knockoff where you can record yourself jamming in what appears to be almost the exact same thing as freestyle solos in RB4. We recorded an "awesome" jam that we have to find out how to transfer or record from my PS3, it's... quite the thing
    -Overdrive is given through holding a X8 multiplier for a long while, and when activated it just gives some bonus points based on your multiplier rather than have any effect on the notes you are currently playing, because game design

Overall I would joke and say its better than RB4 on launch but that would be a massive lie, 1/10 for sure
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 11
    I just read that Konami didn't add vocals because they were concerned it'd cut into sales for Karaoke Revolution. All I can say to that is that the fears were unfounded...

(Also I'm pretty sure the vocals would be ultra broken anyways knowing this game).
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I played Fortnight, but really didn’t care much for it. There was no way to screw around and learn the basics. So all that I was ever able to do was grab a few terrible weapons, run around in forest for twenty minutes avoiding the blue storm and then get sniped. It was essentially playing a hunting game as the deer.
    edited July 12
    Witticus said:

I played Fortnight, but really didn’t care much for it. There was no way to screw around and learn the basics. So all that I was ever able to do was grab a few terrible weapons, run around in forest for twenty minutes avoiding the blue storm and then get sniped. It was essentially playing a hunting game as the deer.

I didn't like it either. But I'll play the game for trophies once the entire thing goes F2P (the coop mode). That should be more along my lines of interest anyway. I'm starting to hate most MP games (mostly because of how people play them).
    edited July 12
    I am sad to admit I stayed up late 3 nights in a row playing "Fortnite", all because I was determined to complete the 1 set of free beginner challenges before the current season ended. Would I have had to start those challenges all over again from scratch? Maybe not. Was the award that I unlocked worth the time investment? OMG no (a single emote that I don't expect I will ever use). I should have done more research.

My understanding was that "Fortnite" is deeply influenced by (a total rip-off of?) "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds". But yes, the ability to build structures seems to be unique to "Fortnite", and it's awe-inspiring to watch experts spin up a castle in 20 seconds while under fire. It's less awe-inspiring to watch me put up single walls to hide behind whenever a random bullet zings past me. I thought there was a mode where you could practice your building without being hassled, but I never tried it, and the menu suggested that this mode went away at 4am this morning when the season ended. The specific technique of spamming walls and ramps to gain the high ground and to provide protection from enemies seems absolutely crucial to master and I haven't come close to mastering it.

I feel like I am no worse at the game than I am at any other shooter. I have zero chance of winning a solo match, but occasionally I can score a thrilling elimination. My stats suggest this happens only VERY occasionally. And yet I keep acting like I'm just "one more game" away from having a great run, chasing that dopamine rush. What a troubling conclusion.

Usually I'm strongly motivated by collecting trophies and by getting to level-up my character / unlock new options [see: Star Wars Battlefront]. It's clear by now that I should be playing the full game, either by buying it OR waiting until all modes become free. It feels like a poor use of my time to be playing just the free mode right now. And I'm not even playing with friends: I'm playing with RANDOMS. wth.

AND YET: I'm really curious to see what kind of changes the new season will bring. Does it start right away [today]? Does participation surge when a new season starts, increasing the chance of me getting to play with people I know?
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I think freeplay came well after I stopped playing.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Started and finished Mega Man 10 on Switch last night! Cleared it in under an hour!
    I finished Far Cry 5 earlier. I've only ever previously played some of 3 (and didn't like it), but I did quite enjoy 5. The gameplay is standard Ubisoft sandbox stuff, albeit more streamlined, but it played well enough. The story, and the antagonists specifically were where it's at, and I believed that they believed everything they were saying. Mostly. The voice acting was pretty damn good, the monologues were entertaining, and the ending was pretty solid. It's probably the best sandbox I've played in quite some time.
  • razor63 said:

I finished Far Cry 5 earlier. I've only ever previously played some of 3 (and didn't like it), but I did quite enjoy 5. The gameplay is standard Ubisoft sandbox stuff, albeit more streamlined, but it played well enough. The story, and the antagonists specifically were where it's at, and I believed that they believed everything they were saying. Mostly. The voice acting was pretty damn good, the monologues were entertaining, and the ending was pretty solid. It's probably the best sandbox I've played in quite some time.

Yeah it was pretty good. I'd give it a 8/10.
    Replaying it does make it feel really tedious though.
    (did 2 replays plus my one regular play)

Going to end up getting at least "Lost On Mars" (the dlc expansion) eventually.
    Might wait for a big price drop on it though. DLC is always short and sometimes "meh".

razor63 said:

Yeah it was pretty good. I'd give it a 8/10.
    Replaying it does make it feel really tedious though.
    (did 2 replays plus my one regular play)

Going to end up getting at least "Lost On Mars" (the dlc expansion) eventually.
    Might wait for a big price drop on it though. DLC is always short and sometimes "meh".
    I'll replay it at some point (gotta justify "The Father Edition"), although the DLC reminds me of Saint's Row's DLC, i.e. not worth doing unless very cheap.