LiveHomeVideo's RB4 Tiers Thread 2018 Edition! (Back From Hiatus!)

Comments

• N.E.R.D. - Lapdance (from In Search Of..., 2001)
  • Actually, yes, "What I See" was indeed released as a single! It reached #25 on the top rock charts at the time, but the song never broke the overall top 100.

It may be redundant at this point, but thanks again for the tier, I can't say there's anything I'd change ^^

I'll actually give you a break from Pink World for a bit, but only because the greatest musical event of the 21st century, and indeed, perhaps, the entire millennium dropped recently, and in order to preserve it for posterity, I will suggest it and therefore engrain it in this thread for it to be viewed by the wandering eyes of some future peoples.

I am, of course, talking about FlyingKitty's "Despacito 2".
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    I would've pushed for Let's Hurt Tonight for maybe a low 5, but I'm happy with the way you tiered it.

My next request is a song that people either love or people hate, from an album that people either love or hate.

Phil Collins - "Sussudio"
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 10
    EDIT: This was meant for @NightmareLyre 's "Unlikely 3-Packs" thread, whoopsie daisy.
  • I'm so hyped for Wacken this year. Nightwish are among the bands playing (yes, even though I'm seeing them at Bloodstock about a week later, along with a few others...) and last time they played Wacken, this happened. It was great. Wish I'd been there.

But yeah, I'd like to request Ghost Love Score (Live) from the Showtime, Storytime DVD, please. :smile:
  • Hope things are going good, LHV. here's a song i'm curious about, surely a classic/actually feels more dated than it already is at this point

Britney Spears - Toxic (from In the Zone, 2003)
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    King's X -- Rocket Ship(have I requested this?)

If I have requested it then King's X -- Don't Care
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior

Yup, you did.
  • edited July 13
    We know what will be the bass tier, but how about the rest?

Primus - Tommy the Cat

I was told by @MCSMeister that you already did a tier for this, let me change it to:

Primus - John the Fisherman
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act

Yup, you did.
    Fair enough.

Stewart Copeland -- Dr. Shemp

Note that if I tiered a song in a previous thread, I'll still tier it here. Because I'm generous (and like both songs anyways) I'll tier both Primus songs.
    edited July 18
    Here are this week's tiers for @mlee117379 , @MCSMeister , @JimmyLethal , @coolkat , @Radiohead97 , @NightmareLyre , @Vexus , @thebipsnbeeps , @Razor_Shark , and two for @Wildcat15 !

Van Halen – Big River

This song's alright; they still sound like Van Halen. I'm not very big into Van Halen, but they're alright at least. As for tiers, guitar is obviously devil-tiered, while bass also seems rather high tiered due to following a lot of the guitar riffs throughout. Drums has some monster fills but would otherwise be very easy, so thinking three dots there. Vocals are kind of tricky for me to tier, but I'm thinking three dots, since the range isn't as wide as in other Van Halen songs, and the melodies are simple enough to sing along to, at least.

Foster the People – The Truth

I was kinda surprised by the intro, but wasn't really into the chorus, sadly. Kinda wish the song kept the darker tone that is in the verses throughout the song, as opposed to suddenly having these big, poppy choruses. I will say though, you're totally right about this being a test for drummers. I actually envision the synth in the verses going on bass, since it's very subbass-like. And yeah the guitar chart would pretty much be entirely alt-charted, with the synth solo near the end being the reason for the 3-dot tier. As for vocals, I was kinda debating between four and five dots, but went with five just because of how big the range of the vocals is, with some of the lower vocals being pretty hard to make out exactly what the pitch is at times (a reason why I think “Falling Away From Me” by Korn is severely undertiered on vocals).

N.E.R.D. - Lapdance (ft. Lee Harvey & Vita)

There's two versions of the album this is from, one with more electronic instrumentation (from 2001), and one with more rock instrumentation (from 2002). Since you specified the year 2001, I'll go with that version. I'm not really feeling this; I have a feeling the rock version is better, but the production here seems kinda confused as to what to focus on, resulting in what kinda just feels like several unrelated sounds fighting for attention. As for tiers, guitar seems like it'd be a pretty solid 3-dot, mostly due to the verse rhythm (that weirdly enough reminds me of djent), while from what I can tell there's only bass hits going along with the kick drum, so that'd be very easy. Drums seems like it'd be very busy switching between different electronic kit bits, though not really complex enough to warrant higher than four dots. I'm thinking the vocals would be pretty high mostly because of Pharrell's bits.

FlyingKitty – Despacito 2

So I just tiered a YouTube Poop, didn't I? :p I have no idea what to do with metadata here, so I just did a lazy crop of the opening frame as the album cover. As for tier, the opening sounds like it'd be really hard on guitar, but the rest of this seems to be rather easy on guitar, so thinking five dots. If they were to chart the random ascending vocal bits as pitched, I can see this being devil tiered for that alone (especially if they were to include the bit that plays at the end during the channel and social media links). There's very little drums or bass here (even if I were to put the distorted subbass part on bass), but from what I can tell they'd probably be 1 dot each.

Phil Collins – Sussudio

So this is the song everyone's so divided on, then? I'm kinda meh to it, tbh. On the one hand, it feels like a retread of Land of Confusion, which makes me just want to listen to that instead. On the other hand, this at least has a cool horn section, so there's that. As for tiers, both bass and guitar sound like they'd be surprisingly challenging, especially if the horn solo is charted to guitar. Drums seem rather basic in comparison, while vocals have enough range and pitch sliding to earn a four dot tier.

3 Inches of Blood – Deadly Sinners

This song's pretty cool, reminds me I should listen to more of this band sometime. I'm mostly familiar with the one that was on the RBN, which is also a great song (even if the chart is questionable with all those forced strums), but this also sounded pretty cool and like it'd be a lot of fun to play. Guitar and bass are rather fast and tricky throughout, though without a guitar solo I can't really say that guitar should be devil tier. Drums have some fast kick pedal stuff that I feel would elevate the tier to devils, though. As for vocals, while the range within the song isn't that large, there are some really high notes (especially on harmonies) so I'm thinking five dots there.

Nightwish – Ghost Love Score (Live)

This is a pretty alright live performance; looks like it would have been fun to be there indeed. I've always been weirded out as to how little Nightwish has appeared in rhythm games, and hope we get some more in the future. As for tiers, the guitar tier would be heavily dependent on how much alt-charting there would be; if they were to alt-chart any of the keys beyond the orchestral bridge (especially the part where they switch between guitar strums and keyboard riffs) I could see the tier being pretty high, but since this is a live performance I'm thinking they'd most likely stick to guitar for the most part, so thinking four dots there. The bass solo at the end of the song brought that tier up quite a bit, bringing it above the guitar tier. As for drums, it's five dots mostly for the part at the beginning and when that drum pattern repeats, though at the end there sounds like some tricky fills as well. And I shouldn't have to explain why vocals are devil-tiered :p

Continued on next post...
    edited July 18
    Britney Spears – Toxic

This song used to be a guilty pleasure of mine, but listening to it again, I kinda realize that I really love the instrumental, but really don't like the vocals. I don't like the use of the psuedo-falsetto-like singing here, it's a bit more annoying than I remembered it being. That said, I'd probably still get it if it were DLC, just because it sounds like it'd be fun on guitar and bass. I imagine the main riff would periodically go on guitar when there wasn't acoustic guitar chords going on, so thinking it'd be a four-dotter on guitar. Bass is a bit more active than I remembered, so thinking 3 dots there. As for drums, as far as I could tell they were very basic, with no fills or fast kicks or anything, so it gets the lowest tier. Vocals I'm sort of torn on, but went with five dots, since while most of the vocal melodies aren't that hard, there's the octave jumping in the choruses, as well as some high notes throughout.

Stewart Copeland – Dr. Shemp

That was higher tiered than expected! :p I've not played the Spyro games (never had a PS1, in fact my first Playstation console was a PS4), but now I kinda want to just to hear the soundtrack. Good thing that remastered version is coming :p As for tiers, the keyboard solo is pretty much the reason why guitar is so high tiered, while bass sounds like it has some fast movement throughout. Drums also sound breakbeat-esque at times, thus the high tier for it as well.

Primus – Tommy the Cat

I decided to re-tier this, not only because I like the song, but because my old tier is actually really bad. I was under the impression that the vocals in the chorus would be pitched, and now I'm not really sure they'd do that (at least, if it were charted properly. On the other hand with how “Redneck” by Lamb of God was charted, I guess it's not 100% out of the question to chart things that should not be pitched as pitched. But I think I'll stick to how I'd personally chart the vocals). As thus, the vocals are going from Devils to 0-dot. Guitar has some pretty furious solos in there, so thinking devils, while bass needs no explanation as to it's devil tier. I'm kinda torn on drums, but I'm thinking five dots there, since while there's a lot ghost hits and such, the actual patterns themselves don't get Mastodon complex or anything, and I imagine a lot of the double-bass stuff would be reduced. Though I can see the case for either 5-dot or devil tier, so if you want I can update the tier to be devils on drums as well.

Primus – John the Fisherman

This one's also a classic, kinda surprised we haven't seen it yet considering it's in GH2. As for tiers, I don't think it'd be quite as high tiered as Tommy the Cat, say, but would still be pretty challenging on bass and drums. While bass never goes really fast, there's a lot of chords throughout, so thinking it'd still be five dots. Drums also has a lot of really fast fills, but they're spread out enough for it to be five dots and not devils. As for guitar, while there's still some challenging bits, I don't think it'd be as hard as bass, and also taking into account how guitar tiers differ in general to bass tiers, and I can see this being four dots. Vocals has a very small range, so thinking 1 dot here.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    Pulp - Common People
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star

On the one hand, it feels like a retread of Land of Confusion.

Technically, No Jacket Required came out a year before Invisible Touch so Land of Confusion is kind of a retread of Sussudio. I imagine guitar and bass would be high up.

My next request is another song off of the Baby Driver soundtrack, one I bet you're familiar with.

Queen - "Brighton Rock"