DLC Discussion Thread: The Spotlight Pass Lives!

Comments

• Is it Thursday/Wednesday yet?
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    An 8 song pass was $13.50 (US) so the savings was $2.50 vs buy songs as singles. That roughly translates to $19 worth of songs if the discount were to match, or $20 once you figure the $0.50 sale on the first 2 sings will run out eventually. I don't think the pass can be any less than 10 for a price of $16.50. I also don't see the pass including 16 songs either, if even songs are sold at a discount for the first 2 weeks. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the pass total was more than 10.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    If it was as simple as 10 $1.99 tracks, the price point would be $15.99 . That's their standard unless it's changed, but it was the standard from old last-gen ten packs up through the Season 4 Spotlight Pass Plus.

As inconsequential as 50 cents may be, a $16.49 price point should be more than 10 $1.99 tracks. Not much more. But something. I wouldn't be 'pleasantly surprised' like you say if it were more than 10 songs. I *expect* it to be more than 10 (or if it isn't, it's only because at least one of the constituent songs is higher than default price). I'd be unpleasantly surprised if it isn't. If it is just 10x$1.99 would mean they changed their bundle pricing ratios for the worse.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited September 11
    If the pack has 12 or more songs, I'm buying the Spotlight Pass, as that is the point at which each song is under $1.49. I'm taking a risk, as there will likely be songs I don't like, but that way I don't miss the limited discount on any song by waiting and seeing. Besides, I like having the Rivals Challenge songs every week.

If the pack has 11 or fewer songs, I'll probably pass and pick up songs on a case-by-case basis. As much as I like having the challenge songs, there's been cases where the song was so bad that I had to pass. And at $1.49 per song, it wouldn't matter; it would be cheaper to scoop them separately.

Of course, there's a chance that there'll be songs priced at $1.99 in the pack (perhaps even most), at which point -- if I like most songs released as DLC this season -- I could stand to lose money by passing on the spotlight pack, but so be it, I guess...I'll just have to be a bit choosier.
  • I'm glad that the pass is back for those who wanted it, but for me, I like to no exactly what I'm getting for my money (mystery has little value to me). And yes, I can wait until week 8 before considering buying it, but... I haven't bought a pass yet, and they're probably just not for me.
  • I got burned buying the first two season passes. I got songs I'd NEVER buy either by song or Difficulty. I swore I'd NEVER buy another pass unless I knew what I was getting ahead of time. I wish Harmonix would just drop the surprise gig they've been doing. I loved it when they'd announce the whole month in advance.
  • edited September 11
    The only feedback I can provide on the spotlight pass is that I don't buy them no matter how much of a price discount they offer. I'm too picky with what songs released as DLC have to have these days in terms of stems and charting to make a blind purchase like this.

This week's songs are not ones I've ever heard before, but I like the way they sound. I will probably purchase them both.
  • Is it Thursday/Wednesday yet?

(in my timezone anyway)
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act

If it was as simple as 10 $1.99 tracks, the price point would be $15.99 . That's their standard unless it's changed, but it was the standard from old last-gen ten packs up through the Season 4 Spotlight Pass Plus.

As inconsequential as 50 cents may be, a $16.49 price point should be more than 10 $1.99 tracks. Not much more. But something. I wouldn't be 'pleasantly surprised' like you say if it were more than 10 songs. I *expect* it to be more than 10 (or if it isn't, it's only because at least one of the constituent songs is higher than default price). I'd be unpleasantly surprised if it isn't. If it is just 10x$1.99 would mean they changed their bundle pricing ratios for the worse.

After some pondering, I think it's going to be 12 songs actually. 4 weeks with 2 songs and 4 weeks with 1 song. If all songs were discounted at $1.49, and you purchased all of them within the 2 week window, you're be right around $18. Not a bad deal considering. Now let's say you jump on the pass. You get the 2 week sale price plus another $1.49 off for being an early adopter. That comes out to about $1.37 per song. An even better deal than the sale price alone. If 12 is the magic number then 9 become my threshold number of songs I'd WANT to purchase individually. Can't say these 2 are must have's for me but I can't say I dislike them either. I'd need 8 or 9 more songs I'd have purchased regardless for this to be worth it in my eyes. Past history has shown that to be unlikely.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

After some pondering, I think it's going to be 12 songs actually. 4 weeks with 2 songs and 4 weeks with 1 song. If all songs were discounted at $1.49, and you purchased all of them within the 2 week window, you're be right around $18. Not a bad deal considering. Now let's say you jump on the pass. You get the 2 week sale price plus another $1.49 off for being an early adopter. That comes out to about $1.37 per song. An even better deal than the sale price alone. If 12 is the magic number then 9 become my threshold number of songs I'd WANT to purchase individually. Can't say these 2 are must have's for me but I can't say I dislike them either. I'd need 8 or 9 more songs I'd have purchased regardless for this to be worth it in my eyes. Past history has shown that to be unlikely.
    I'm going to predict 12 is wishful thinking. The biggest packs we've gotten in the RB4 era are 10 packs (excluding the 30 Song Megapack since that's a special case).

I doubt they'd lump the "early adopter" sale price in with the Spotlight Pass as well. Kinda defeats the purpose of the Spotlight Pass.
  • Pictures of Girls sounds really good. I'd pick it up.
    Okay, Australians. We're relying on you to let us know how many songs are in this pass.
    Finally got around to listening to this week's songs. Like many others here, I like them! In the grand scheme of things, they're pretty inconsequential, and I wouldn't have been overly upset had we never gotten them, but since they're charted and ready to go? I'll definitely pick them up. They sound like they'll be a lot more fun to play than some of the other discounted pop songs we've received this summer.

P.S. Am I the only one who has never been dissatisfied with a Spotlight Pass purchase? I guess maybe it's because I have fairly diverse music tastes, but they've always been a great value for me. Sure, each one has had one or two songs that I may have passed on, but once you factor in the discount? Still definitely worth it to have those songs in my library, whether for online multiplayer reasons, to be able to help with the Rivals challenge, or simply to add another song to the library (whether it receives much play or not).
  • From what I recall, most of the passes worked out for me overall, but there was one where it was significantly weaker for me and had 3 or so songs that I never would have bought.

It is a bit of an exciting gamble though..
  • I wish some weeks of the SP the songs were flipped, but that's how they make their money.
  • edited September 12
    I'm glad to see the pass be back because I buy everything anyway and this just saves me a tiny bit of money. Hope it won't stop the RBN releases though. Pretty confident they won't offer those in the pass, that might have quite a backlash.

I think the passes got worse every season with losing variety and whatnot. But that's just my taste. I'm into more obscure music anyways.

Awesome to see RB4 still going strong. It's basically the only game I play these days.
  • I've liked every spotlight pass enough to buy the next one so far, but I also tend to buy more DLC than I don't. I appreciate that they try to stack up the bigger releases for them (at least that's the way it seems compared to non-spotlight pass weeks), and maintain a healthy amount of variety in them. The new price and possible doubled-up weeks makes me wonder if RBN re-releases might be contained within. Or if there might be a week with RBN that it skips and had two in another week to make up for it. Like how that new 30 Seconds to Mars song was spotlighted later in the season, after its week of release.
  • I think if u buy the SP your saving like $1.56 from 8 single songs even with the $1.49 promo discount.

12 songs for 25.95 AUD

prob 26.99 in CAD or something with exchange

For PlayStation users B)

We Canadian Xboxers get 12 songs for $16.49! Even after taxes, that's $1.55 per track, so what the hell. I'll take a chance to celebrate the return of the Spotlight Pass.
  • The biggest unknown now is whether RBN songs are in the spotlight pass. As HMX doesn't count RBN songs as RBN songs in the blog posts, they may be counted as "new".
  • RBN songs have never been included in the Spotlight Pass before. People would be crabby if they appeared there now, as they aren't truly "brand new to RB". But they are "brand new to RB4". Hmmm. You're right, until there's an official announcement one way of the other, it's always a possibility that this will happen.
    edited September 12
    I think that if they included RBN tracks in the spotlight, they'd have to be pretty big tracks. Songs like "Paralyzer", "Semi-Charmed Life", "Great Balls of Fire", "St. Elmo's Fire", songs by bands like Mastodon, The Shins, etc. I don't think they'd get away with including novelty tracks or even more niche metal acts.
  • Could it be the return of "muh top 100"? :open_mouth: