A Quick Look Into Future Rock Band Updates (Future Meaning 10/10)

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 4

They're not the only ways. The most notable way to not being playing in Rivals mode that hasn't been mentioned is to turn on freestyle guitar solos. Until the glitch is fixed, you're essentially blocked from Rivals mode for using freestyle guitar solos.

Even with freestyle guitar solos on, those songs still count XP towards rivals mode. They won't hit spotlight or LP though.

To the best of my knowledge, songs without freestyle solos also post in full to leaderboards while you have freestyle solos turned on. The only songs that are denied leaderboard are the ones that have charted freestyle solos, and you have freestyle solos turned on. The songs that don't have freestyle solos at all (songs without any solos at all, or those recent DLCs where freestyle solos are not charted) post whether you have them turned on or not.
  • They're not the only ways. The most notable way to not being playing in Rivals mode that hasn't been mentioned is to turn on freestyle guitar solos. Until the glitch is fixed, you're essentially blocked from Rivals mode for using freestyle guitar solos.

Even with freestyle guitar solos on, those songs still count XP towards rivals mode. They won't hit spotlight or LP though.

To the best of my knowledge, songs without freestyle solos also post in full to leaderboards while you have freestyle solos turned on. The only songs that are denied leaderboard are the ones that have charted freestyle solos, and you have freestyle solos turned on. The songs that don't have freestyle solos at all (songs without any solos at all, or those recent DLCs where freestyle solos are not charted) post whether you have them turned on or not.
    20th Century Boy also has a solo but no freestyles charted, bizarrely. This is notable, as I was under the impression that otherwise, all the disc exports that had solos also had freestyles.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Lefty pro flip fixed!! :o :o :o :o :o

I can play White Stripes again :o
  • tnevaker said:

crashb648 said:

I'm really hoping this fall update is something other than a Rivals update/upgrade.
    As much as a load of people love the Rivals aspect of Rock Band, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants new non-rivals content.

I still dig Rock Band either way, just something like new game-play modes like a Blitz-style or arcade mode to sink my teeth into would be fantastic.

I haven't touched the other modes (especially freestyle solos and show mode) in the game since launch. I'd prefer some UI upgrades, local/online playing together, and several other key features that are still missing from previous games.
    Shows mode could have been brilliant with a few tweaks (using ratings to filter songs or change the likelihood they get selected, and especially, making Shows mode available online) but as it is, it's probably too late to revive it.

i dunno, i guess if they make Shows mode an online mode and really publicized it heavily in a future update, it could finally live up to its promise and get the love it deserves.
    I like this idea about Shows as well. That is one mode that casual players can still play if they don't want to do Rivals. So, updating that allowing us to use song filters for a little more flexibility in Shows mode and allowing it online would be great!
    That there is my #1 wish-that-I-still-fool-myself-into-believing-is-realistic.
  • Thank you for working on the lefty fix!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited September 9
    tnevaker said:

crashb648 said:

I'm really hoping this fall update is something other than a Rivals update/upgrade.
    As much as a load of people love the Rivals aspect of Rock Band, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants new non-rivals content.

I still dig Rock Band either way, just something like new game-play modes like a Blitz-style or arcade mode to sink my teeth into would be fantastic.

I haven't touched the other modes (especially freestyle solos and show mode) in the game since launch. I'd prefer some UI upgrades, local/online playing together, and several other key features that are still missing from previous games.
    Shows mode could have been brilliant with a few tweaks (using ratings to filter songs or change the likelihood they get selected, and especially, making Shows mode available online) but as it is, it's probably too late to revive it.

i dunno, i guess if they make Shows mode an online mode and really publicized it heavily in a future update, it could finally live up to its promise and get the love it deserves.
    Online Play-a-Show mode might be a little difficult. The game would have to be able to scan all 4 players' libraries for songs in common while generating those little clue things (unless they forgo the hint system and just go with song names like in Tour mode).

Either way, having the game scroll through everyone's songs for stuff in common (rather than you just scrolling through your own library) would require some computing power.

I do agree that local Play a Show mode should incorporate song ratings. Other than being able to hide 1-lighter rated songs, ratings are kinda worthless.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 9
    So happy about the vocal and other necessary fixes. Bless you HMX!
    I have one other question/ issue... I have had comments and also seen that there is a real inconsistency in Brutal mode vocal scores. Once upon a time brutal scores didn't really count much in rivals, So we didn't use it much. Then it made a huge change when our vox brutal scores made a big difference, and we were able get much higher scores. Then.....it changed again, and our brutal scores once again became of little effect, and we went back to just singing in regular mode, working for gold stars as opposed to crimson stars. This issue has had quite an impact on our vocalists scores, and been very frustrating. Once again, things get changed and we have to figure out a new strategy for our scores.
    Here's my deal....I want to know at some point when we have a "standard" of scoring across the board. Something that isn't changing with every new season. I understand there are glitches and things must be tweaked, but there is also a point at which we need a system we can understand, depend on, and win on. Too many changes and tweaks to how things are scored, ultimately means nothing is fair. nothing is firm, the playing field is never level, and no one really wins.
    If anyone knows what the deal is with brutal mode, perhaps I've missed update information and someone can clue me in. it wouldn't be the first time. :p
    Thanks
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    Yeah, season 6 was awesome. Brutal mode made it easier for vocalists to match the XP of other instruments, and it was far more generous with XP, which made leveling up so much easier.

Then came season 7 with LP, and various other changes (including a host of glitches), which has made leveling up soooo slow and inaccurate.

I just hope they fix the vocal glitches and crashes.

I also hope that some day they put the audio controls back the way they were in previous Rock Band games, where we could adjust them on the fly with a game controller, because pausing the game, navigating menus and blindly adjusting sliders not knowing how it'll affect the sound until you unpause, is really disruptive to gameplay.
  • @rkbdgurl Pretty much what happened was season 6 was a test season. HMX experimented with a bunch of things like RBN only DLC weeks and the next difficulty getting a lot more XP (e.g. Brutal got a lot more XP than Expert). Then based on community feedback of season 6 (the XP situation was one of the biggest complaints), season 7 was adjusted.

As for season 8, I'd expect it to pretty much be identical to season 7 especially as the update isn't coming before the season starts so you'll be experiencing the same annoying glitches for at least the first few challenges.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    ugh.
  • Season 6 will forever be my fave on a mechanical level.
  • While I don't miss the demotion system at all, I do miss the few months of Season 0 (around mid-March to mid-May) where I came to the conclusion that tier really didn't mean anything. You could spend days, weeks, months away from Rivals grinding and it wouldn't mean anything.

Though my favourite Season mechanically would probably be Season 7, if the game wasn't so glitchy I think that Season would've been a lot of fun.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

While I don't miss the demotion system at all, I do miss the few months of Season 0 (around mid-March to mid-May) where I came to the conclusion that tier really didn't mean anything. You could spend days, weeks, months away from Rivals grinding and it wouldn't mean anything.

Though my favourite Season mechanically would probably be Season 7, if the game wasn't so glitchy I think that Season would've been a lot of fun.

That was the whole reason they added prizes.
  • tdc002 said:

While I don't miss the demotion system at all, I do miss the few months of Season 0 (around mid-March to mid-May) where I came to the conclusion that tier really didn't mean anything. You could spend days, weeks, months away from Rivals grinding and it wouldn't mean anything.

It was, same with the seasonal structure and it doesn't just apply to Rock Band but even games as big as Overwatch/Fortnite/Rocket League. I just miss the old structure every so often, especially with how amazing the Switch library has gotten over the past 18 months.
  • No clue if this is the right place to mention, but aside from the issues with the app missing LP and not being able to filter on what songs you own/don't own...

You also can't see your "real" star rankings on songs without individually inspecting every song's leaderboards.

The other day I gold starred what was supposedly the last remaining non-gold song in a tier, but my skill rating didn't budge, which seems to suggest that I have at least another song that isn't REALLY gold as far as leaderboards are concerned... But damned if I'm going to manually check hundreds of songs to find which one(s).
    edited September 13
    As far as we know the star results in the app are all always right.

What isn’t always right is the tiers. There are reportedly some tracks the app has slotted to the wrong tier. So it’s possible there is a non-gs song in that tier that you’re not noticing because the app has you thinking it’s in another tier.

Or it’s possible that the last gold for that tier ... still didn’t budge your skill by a full point because rounding. It’s entirely possible the difference between your tier contribution before that gs and after was less than 1.0 points. And if so, you could have seen ko actual visible improvement in your skill value. Which tier was it and how many gses/ songs do you have played in that tier?
  • The app doesn't show jack as far as stars go now.

Iirc, it was 2 dots... No fricken clue how many I have on that tier cuz I have 1400 overall...

I suppose it's possible that it was rounding as you mentioned.

But I'd still like to be able to see my stars and such in the app again.
  • That's what Aaron said a few years ago, too! Rock Band's far more consistently played than other big AAA titles that peak around release and that's totally fine.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star

tdc002 said:

It was, same with the seasonal structure and it doesn't just apply to Rock Band but even games as big as Overwatch/Fortnite/Rocket League. I just miss the old structure every so often, especially with how amazing the Switch library has gotten over the past 18 months.
    I mean...you could just split time between RB and other games, man. I know a grand total of zero employees there, but I can guarantee you HMX people play other stuff too - they're not expecting you to dedicate 24/7 to Rivals.

There are a lot of good games out there, no shame in checking them out sometimes.
  • I'm getting burnt out on Rivals myself; last season I grinded for days on end just to ensure Bloodstone, since I really wanted that lava suit, but after that I just want to play new DLC and replay songs I've not played in a while that just so happen to never get into these Rivals themes. I'm hoping maybe some new mode comes along soon that doesn't require grinding over the same songs week after week (or at least that was my experience last season, since a lot of the themes shared a lot of the same songs).

This is where I feel like Harmonix should include another challenge into the mix for different rewards. One that doesn't require hours and hours of grinding. It could be a challenge that would be similar to how Spotlight songs work. Just take a small setlist (3-5 songs) that you focus on each week for high scores. It would be similar to the weekly challenges back in Rock Band 2.

That way if there are weeks where you don't want to focus on regular Rivals, you can still focus on a much more narrow challenge and still be rewarded if you do well enough. This way Harmonix can also focus more on songs that aren't utilized so much. I mean it's kind of how the Spotlight songs already work. They just need to implement something extra.

It's honestly a perfect reason why I wish they would implement a score duel or tug of war mode again. It could be completely tied to Rivals and be set up in a tournament fashion like how it is in Mario Tennis or any fighting game ever. Those who complete the tournament once per season get a reward. And those who place 1-3 get a special reward. And it doesn't have to be a same instrument battle either. It could be entirely Star based and not score based that way you can go guitar vs. drums or vocals vs. bass. You would just need to make sure to pick songs that have a similar difficulty to make it more fair.

And you could implement certain things to make playing more difficult as a handicap based on the skill ratings that already exist in the game. Say a person is extremely good at vocals. That seems totally unfair vs all other instruments right? If the vocalist starts a song perfect let's say it becomes more like brutal mode as time goes on until there's virtually nothing left for the vocalist to see. No pitch tracks, no words. And to top it off if there's a slight discrepancy still in skill, make the timing a little more difficult.

There are so many things they could implement to make it a challenge. They could even make it so that it works like Rivals scoring. That way a person couldn't just play a song on easy to win. They could also implement things to distract good players to help even the playing field which would be akin to any racing game ever (particularly Mario Kart in this case). You could collect certain power ups throughout the song and use them to your advantage.

For example: Say you're falling way behind the other person. The next overdrive notes grant you a new ability. These could be things like 2x overdrive power, enable kitty mode on the opposing note highway, change to lefty flip (or righty flip) on the opposing note highway, enable brutal mode, enable fast note track, enable alternate brutal mode (where every other note is missing), enable Cheat Sheet (makes it impossible for you to miss a note for a set duration), etc. Seriously, I have hundreds of ideas to make this very enjoyable yet competitive. :)

Whether a head to head mode, or a smaller challenge system like Rock Band 2, Harmonix needs something a little more casual to add to the mix for people that are either more casual players or players who still want to play but need a break from the monotonous. And I think it's still something that is very much in their wheelhouse. :)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Thing is, I'm not a competitive player at all, so I'm wanting something maybe a bit less focused on leaderboards and stats, and something more about just having fun. I like the idea of a return to battle modes, but I personally would just want to play those for fun, as opposed to grinding on that for Rivals. But I was thinking something along the lines of some sort of variant on Quickplay, that was more for fun than for competition. I'm not sure what that'd be, but I'd be happy with some sort of new thing that allowed me to play my songs in a new way, as opposed to playing the same small selection of my DLC every week trying to get a high score so I can unlock some clothes for my in-game s***post characters.

Also yes, I am the type of person that would pick "For Fun" on Smash Bros. instead of "For Glory" :p
  • Thing is, I'm not a competitive player at all, so I'm wanting something maybe a bit less focused on leaderboards and stats, and something more about just having fun. I like the idea of a return to battle modes, but I personally would just want to play those for fun, as opposed to grinding on that for Rivals. But I was thinking something along the lines of some sort of variant on Quickplay, that was more for fun than for competition. I'm not sure what that'd be, but I'd be happy with some sort of new thing that allowed me to play my songs in a new way, as opposed to playing the same small selection of my DLC every week trying to get a high score so I can unlock some clothes for my in-game s***post characters.

Also yes, I am the type of person that would pick "For Fun" on Smash Bros. instead of "For Glory" :p
    Have you tried the other modes in the game besides Quickplay and Rivals? There is online multiplayer, Rockudrama, Shows and Tour mode that are all available.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 14
    chexmixho said:

Thing is, I'm not a competitive player at all, so I'm wanting something maybe a bit less focused on leaderboards and stats, and something more about just having fun. I like the idea of a return to battle modes, but I personally would just want to play those for fun, as opposed to grinding on that for Rivals. But I was thinking something along the lines of some sort of variant on Quickplay, that was more for fun than for competition. I'm not sure what that'd be, but I'd be happy with some sort of new thing that allowed me to play my songs in a new way, as opposed to playing the same small selection of my DLC every week trying to get a high score so I can unlock some clothes for my in-game s***post characters.

Have you tried the other modes in the game besides Quickplay and Rivals? There is online multiplayer, Rockudrama, Shows and Tour mode that are all available.
    Played 'em all, in fact I've done Tour mode several times. Wasn't a fan of the humor in Rockudrama (I have a low tolerance for toilet humor, which is that mode's bread and butter), and I've played Online quite a few times, though lately I've mostly been playing local multiplayer, which means I can't play Online at the same time. And Shows I've played once or twice, but I prefer to be in charge of what songs I play, as opposed to picking out of a small selection (again, an issue I have with Rivals, only on Show mode it's a bit different).

I had the idea of maybe a mode that allowed you to play songs at different speeds. I don't mean Breakneck speed or anything, I mean literally increasing or decreasing the tempo of the song. I think it'd be fun on Rock Band.
  • 1st Crew Play Bonuses do not apply for new members added after the challenge starts regardless of being in another crew or not.

Harmonix got back to me and said this is how its suppose to work.

Funny how i never saw a single post or announcement in regards to this change when they announced the other changes that would take place.

Are we suppose to assume this is a change without having a proper announcement because it proves quite inconvenient to crews that add a new member that wasnt in another crew at the start of the season and now has to deal with contacting Harmonix and scouring forums and posts to figure out what is wrong to be told later its normal.

This is why Harmonix is not being taken seriously as of late because they pay their employees to do their jobs and they consistently cant do them properly by introducing severe bugs to the game, neglecting to listen to our complaints and not notifying their customers of rule and/or policy changes expecting us to know them.

We as the players/customers of Harmonix games have a voice and it needs to be heard properly. We arent your puppets, we arent your play testers and we have to be treated with respect. WE are what makes YOU money, so do you jobs right for heaven's sake.
This discussion has been closed.