New Rock Band 4 Update Out!

Comments

• edited October 25
    tnevaker said:

so there's some hypothetical band or bands or labels who are OK with slowing their songs, but draw the line at 70%? sorry, i have a real hard time believing that the difference between allowing a song to be slowed to 70% vs. slowed to 50% would be a dealbreaker for some band or label. it would be easier to believe that a band or label would not want their songs to be slowed down at all... in which case, now we're supposed to speculate about which bands HMX has sacrificed ever licensing at all in order to add practice mode. who would enjoy you saying "Bang Camaro goes down to 70% in practice mode, and in return we will never have content from [Band You Like Who Won't Allow Their Song to Be Slowed Down At All] in this release no matter what?" i'm sure there'd be more bands in that category than the other.

how about all the new bands that were licensed in the time between RB4's release and the addition of practice mode? i guess it was lucky coincidence none of them objected to having their songs slowed down after the fact.

since HMX will never disclose licensing terms, or even come straight out and say "feature X is not available because some band we won't name refused to license their music because of it", then anyone can just pull out the "licensing is hard" excuse as a convenient way to explain away any poor or lazy design decision in this game. is licensing also why we're still stuck with 10% increments in practice mode, or why you can't go directly to practice mode from the quickplay menu, and instead are forced to back all the way out to the main menu?

who would enjoy you saying "Bang Camaro can be practiced in increments of 1% or 5% instead of just 70/80/90/100%, but in return you'll never have content from [Band You Like] no matter what", right?

why no venue select option? "Bang Camaro can be played in the venue of your choosing, but in return you'll never have content from [Band You Like That Wants To Force You To Play Random Venues]"

why are all the characters in RB4 skinny now? "you can play Bang Camaro with fat avatars, but in return [Band You Like Who Doesn't Want To Be Portrayed As Overweight] will never, ever, ever be in the game"

it's nice to have that easy excuse to fall back on when you don't want to provide actual answers about why certain features were left out or poorly executed.

Where's my Agree/LOL button when I need it? :p
  • HMXOwl said:

Heck, if you'd like, I can throw out that even since I've been here, we've lost at least one song because of our character creator!

Everybody, start your speculation engines!
    I can't give any hints on that one, but who knows what people can think up!
  • If there are realistically things such as character creator being a no go for some songs, have you guys thought about including exceptions just so that we could attain those songs? I for one would be perfectly fine giving up certain aspects of the visuals of the game if they are actually roadblocks for certain gets.

Already covered that on the last page, sadly!
    HMXOwl said:

You won't ever know if anyone asked for anything unique, but you can probably understand that the proposal at the end there would be a lot of work for us in order to show disparity in the catalog and likely confuse most players. Right now, all songs can do the same stuff in all modes, consideration to songs missing literal instrumentation. You also need to look at the whole to keep everyone happy, and who would enjoy us saying, "Bang Camaro goes down to 50% in Practice Mode, and in return we will never have content from [Band You Like] in this release no matter what."?

And would I enjoy people tweeting at us every day going, "Such-and-such won't go past 70%, please fix the bug!"? Also no.

You've traded in 'I don't want that to associate with my material' for 'I don't want to be shown off and distributed as lesser'. It's not actually a solution, and it would eat up time you'd probably want us to spend elsewhere.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    HMXOwl said:

You've traded in 'I don't want that to associate with my material' for 'I don't want to be shown off and distributed as lesser'. It's not actually a solution, and it would eat up time you'd probably want us to spend elsewhere.

Oh yes definitely. I was more or less thinking of it as an extremely rare case. Say it was the ONLY way we could get "LegendaryBandX" kind of a thing.

But I completely understand what you're saying. From a development standpoint and a PR standpoint, it could and would be an absolute nightmare.
  • HMXOwl said:

Heck, if you'd like, I can throw out that even since I've been here, we've lost at least one song because of our character creator! Probably could have had the song (or at least that corner's approval) if RB4 had done its early dev prefab-only system. And I doubt anyone reading this had considered that as a possibility since Rock Band started, because you aren't supposed to know every single facet that goes into licensing. It's fine to not know, that's the well-known story of Rock Band licensing.

Has the reverse happened before, as in like you lost songs because the character creator was too basic?
  • How about a special expansion like The Beatles game where you can only play those songs in the expansion and you can't alter them in any way.

If it is legendary band X that wants the restriction it would be worth it to give them their own expansion....
  • Alright folks, let's be a bit easy on @HMXOwl here.

Quoting someone regarding a game whose name I won't mention, "I think Anberlin wants their money back after that theme you made."

Better they err on the cautious side.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

How about a special expansion like The Beatles game where you can only play those songs in the expansion and you can't alter them in any way.

If it is legendary band X that wants the restriction it would be worth it to give them their own expansion....

Do really think a Led Zeppelin: Rock Band would sell enough copies to cover the cost of licensing the Led Zeppelin songs???
  • I bet 95% of the cases "I don't have interest to be in rock band"/ licensing is hard" can be solved with money.

Count on me to pay more for bigger bands.
  • DesvergerDesverger Opening Act
    HMXOwl said:

Back when I worked at a gas station, once had someone come in and ask us if gas was gonna be cheaper the next day. We said we didn't know. They then said something along the lines of, "Don't lie to me, you just don't want to tell me." We had to insist, "Uh, no, we just work somewhere that has gas in a tank a few feet down, we don't control the price of oil or anything." Sounds pretty silly, right? They weren't well informed when they asked the initial question (can't imagine they had ever worked any retail in particular), the doubling down didn't change the scale of truth either side had, But if they hadn't worked in that space, that's...expected, even. A bit ridiculous of an example, but they didn't know a thing, assumed/thought something, and it was wrong. That happens all the time. Everyone does it to everyone else.

Where I live, petrol is priced on a cycle... so it is always raised to its most expensive on Tuesday, and gets gradually cheaper every other day. The attendant would definitely know the answer to the question.

Perhaps you were pretending to assume retail works the same everywhere, in order to underline your point that we all make assumptions. If so, well played.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    As I remember it, HMX was promising to tell hilarious and fascinating licensing stories at PAX one year. But at some point before the actual presentation took place they figured out that, no, the event didn't count as a "casual off-the-record chat with super-fans", so many of the extra-juicy stories remain untold [to people like me that don't have any personal connection to HMX employees].

I've just seen the Real World In Action for long enough to totally believe that the costs and complexities of programming and licensing are many orders of magnitude higher than one would hope them to be. Even for things that would seem to be really simple.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited November 7

Total video freeze for last part of song and had to quit game because it stayed frozen. Audio continued. Could hear end of song applause etc. Getting the calibration changes mid song too on some songs and missed strums that i know should count

Ps4 wednesday @ 1:25pm central time
  • I’ve had freezing and calibration issues since the last three or so patches.
    Not sure how anyone could “disagree” with someone else having issues too... lol
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The disagree must be for the snarky parts. How can anyone doubt that the problems are real?
    Or maybe they thought you were Witt + were collecting disagrees on purpose.

My [PS4] setup had no issues last night but I was only on for an hour or so, playing solo.
    I had the "screen freezes, audio continues on anyway" issue a few weeks ago. Bleh!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I disagree with the total negativity towards all things HMX from almost every single one of your posts. But I'm starting to come around with the complete lack of useability updates like a simplistic fix of the existing filter logic.

I mostly disagreed with your "some free band demanded HMX add crashing in order to use their song".