DLC Discussion Thread: The Bouncing Souls, Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams, and Senses Fail!

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 7
    Yeah, we got offered SIX SONGS that week (June 3, 2008), three by Jimmy Buffet and three by Disturbed.
    And people were disappointed.
    Whatever is offered, people will get used to that, and then want more.
    That's not to say that Rock Band fans are uniquely unappreciative: it's just how the human brain is wired.

What's the alternative: to all become Buddhist, and learn to let go of desire
    ?
    Never Gonna Let You Go was [technically] the most requested song for Rock Band.
    Was that because the system was abused? Well, sort of.
    Yeah, teaming up with like-minded people and agreeing on a single song to request together would probably be a smart move. Unless that single song is somehow unavailable...

But, even then, it sounds like HMX could pull an audible and translate that flood of requests into working to get a very similar song.
  • ugxwolf said:

Why do you guys seem to think that RWBY fans, who near-unanimously praise the series’ music and also frequently attend conventions, which are amazing venues for party games like Rock Band, wouldn’t all happily request for some of the more energetic and recognizable tracks in the expansive library of good songs that would work well in Rock Band. It’s almost like you guys think this is some kind of fluke. Like you can’t fathom how someone might want to play that kind of song. Have you ever tried ignoring the fact it’s related to a web series and just listening to it/playing it? Cause I swear, I’ve had more fun with the RWBY travks than I have with most of the DLC I have. It’s been great.

This Will Be The Day was fine because the price was right. Wasn't a huge fan of the second song we got, especially since it wasn't free. The Triumph is probably the best of what we got this week, but for me, that's not saying much.
  • ugxwolfugxwolf Unsigned

Aye, that’s fair. I expected them all to be free but personally don’t mind paying. To each, their own. However, I stand by my main point that fans of the series agreeing on the first OP to boost into the upper ranks of requested songs isn’t all that hard to believe. 13M views on the first episode on YouTube (which obviously doesn’t account for watch rates on Rooster Teeth, Vrv, and Crunchyroll). It’s just kinda annoying for people to write it off like no one wanted these songs.

• @ugxwolf It's not even about this week. It's weeks or months at a time that go by as to where We get something that excites me. The last time I seen Rock Band for sale in a store was on clearance in January 2017. I bought 2 guitar packs with Rivals expansion included. It's next to impossible to find good priced guitars ect anymore. My point is that we are what's keeping RB afloat. I never want to see it die. Never! I just wish Harmonix would look at my examples above and start considering them again. I'll pay more for them I don't care. The same goes for Lego RB Rewinds. I never loved a game or spent as much money on a game as I have on RB.
  • edited February 7
    ugxwolf said:

@bdd74 I think you’re still missing the point that if very few of the releases are aimed for you then you’re probably not the target audience that’s keeping them afloat. HMX isn’t going under to public knowledge. They’re doing well. Somehow I doubt that’s on one killer classic a season.

I did mention somewhere in this I spent almost 300.00 dollars last month on songs so I'd say I'd doing something. Just because I'm not excited about songs doesn't mean I'm not buying them. I'm just cherry picking them now.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    That's actually pretty awesome that "This Will Be The Day" was one of the top 5 most requested songs and they released it for free. I mean, I don't care about the song or the show but that's just cool when they know they would've made some money off it.
  • Who says they didnt make money off it? If I was a huge RWBY fan who didnt own Rivals yet, and then found out I needed the expansion to play that song, theres a damn good chance itd tilt the scale.

• While I wouldn't have predicted it myself, This Will Be the Day being in the top 5 requests of the RB4 era isn't that surprising given the top 10 requests list revealed in 2012.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    bdd74 said:

ugxwolf said:

@bdd74 I think you’re still missing the point that if very few of the releases are aimed for you then you’re probably not the target audience that’s keeping them afloat. HMX isn’t going under to public knowledge. They’re doing well. Somehow I doubt that’s on one killer classic a season.

I did mention somewhere in this I spent almost 300.00 dollars last month on songs so I'd say I'd doing something. Just because I'm not excited about songs doesn't mean I'm not buying them. I'm just cherry picking them now.
    I mean, that's still 150+ songs in a month. I'm not sure I've purchased that many (outside of SPs) in a year.
  • I went crazy like that and caught up on the hiatus sale.
    There must be some way to compile all of the data in my Playstation Purchase history so I could figure out how many songs I added every year. Did I ever have a month where I added 150? I doubt it! But I've purchased songs regularly over a very long period. And, yeah, I went on a relatively big spending spree once the "legacy" tracks got slashed to .99 each.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 7
    The 50% sale happened just after I switched to Xbox from Wii, and I bought almost all RB1/RB2 DLC (give or take a few dozen tracks that I still don't have) within the first year of the sale. Considering I also bought a decent chunk of RB3 DLC during that time, I have no clue how a high school student like me managed to afford that.

I've bought most of what I plan to buy from the back catalogue, and am now sitting comfortably at around 2,505 songs. Only regrets are not picking up songs that have since been delisted, like all of the Spinal Tap songs. Whole packs (with like eleven songs) were mistakenly priced at $1 right before their delisting, but I thought Rock Band was dead so decided it wasn't worth the effort of punching in my credit card info. What was I thinking?!?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    KidSleez said:

djb5f1 said:

If it is one of the top 5 requested songs, someone (or a handful of people) are abusing the system but requesting many times across many devices (looks unique) and/or with slightly different data entries. Maybe a campaign push by RWBY themselves lol

Totally agree. I have a hard time believing that many people even know what RWBY is to get it into the top 5 of all requests in the RB4 era without using some sort of nefarious method.
    i don't even think it's necessarily nefarious to conduct an organized effort to request a song. i guess maybe it is if enough of those people don't even own or play the game. it's easy enough to crowdsource an effort like this, especially when all it takes is to click a link and submit a form, people have been doing that with online polls and petitions for nearly as long as there's been an internet. it's minimal effort, and even if a lot of those people don't directly benefit from getting a song into a game they might not actually play, it's still more payoff than the momentary satisfaction of voting some obscure youtube singer as "best new pop star of the century" in a poll no one cares about or keeping Sanjaya around for another week on American Idol.

i think it's a sign of just how seriously HMX takes that song's "top 5" position that they released it for free. if they really thought it was gonna be such a huge seller, don't you think they would've tried to make money off of it? isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?
  • edited February 7
    tnevaker said:

i guess maybe it is if enough of those people don't even own or play the game.

Correct, but nothing makes that scenario more likely with a RWBY song than any other song ever recorded and requested. This whole thing is just people who don't have an interest in it grasping at straws to delegitimize it. It's ok to say a thing is popular even if you don't like it! Doesn't change anything about your life or tastes, people.
    tnevaker said:

i think it's a sign of just how seriously HMX takes that song's "top 5" position that they released it for free. if they really thought it was gonna be such a huge seller, don't you think they would've tried to make money off of it? isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?

It's an incentive to buy Rivals, the thing that's 15x the price of a song. ; )
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited February 7
    I was thinking more of a promotion and loss leader. Even if the devotees were militantly voting for it, the majority of players were unaware, and sneaking that first song in for RivalsFree, if it catches the interest of the newly aware audience, could either drive traffic to RWBY itself, or could at least get them hooked enough to plunk down and buy the later actually-individually-pricetagged content knowing they enjoyed the previous RB content by the same artist.
  • edited February 7
    https://xkcd.com/870/

or could at least get them hooked enough to plunk down and buy the later actually-individually-pricetagged content knowing they enjoyed the previous RB content by the same artist.

They're all super fun, yup!
  • There must be some way to compile all of the data in my Playstation Purchase history so I could figure out how many songs I added every year. Did I ever have a month where I added 150? I doubt it! But I've purchased songs regularly over a very long period. And, yeah, I went on a relatively big spending spree once the "legacy" tracks got slashed to .99 each.

I bought several back when they were .99 cents each. Clearly not as many as I should have. I was really stupid during that 2011-2014 RB timeline. I think of Delisted songs I passed on and not Exporting Lego. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. :(
  • edited February 7
    HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

To be fair, you do get more than 15x the content of a single song, and I don't just mean you get 16 songs! Or however many you get, I know it's way more than 16.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the RWBY songs got mad when we got SpongeBob Squarepants?
  • Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

To be fair, you do get more than 15x the content of a single song, and I don't just mean you get 16 songs! Or however many you get, I know it's way more than 16.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the RWBY songs got mad when we got SpongeBob Squarepants?
    There will have been people who bought the Ozzy 8 pack just for Bark at the Moon, buying Rivals for This Will Be the Day isn't much different.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 7
    Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

I wasn't around when those were first released, but if I was, I sure as heck would have complained about those too (nothing against Spongebob the TV and film franchise, but Spongebob the singer leaves a lot to be desired).

Ditto for the Nikko songs. Maybe not the Naked Brothers Band songs though, because as a 12 year-old I listened to those unironically (yay nostalgia!!)