WAYDRN 2019: Oo That Smell... That New Car Smell.

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I almost never play online, we are trying to figure out how to be in party chat (PS4) and then mute the headset mic during each song. But then have another mic to sing into that doesn't get muted. Seems easy, yeah? But no, there must be some trick to it, the order you plug them in matters or something. Because when our singer mutes the party chat mic, the other mic won't pick up his singing.

You all figured this out years ago ... please share your wisdom
  • What if you leave the party completely?

That sounds impractical af, though.

• I think it may be HMX's next VR game. Last time I checked Oculus Quest was launching in Spring 2019 so with HMX being among the first developers to support it, we'd probably hear about it soon.
  • Ugh. Just hardcore froze playing Guitar (offline quickplay). Hasn’t happened in a bit but I also have rarely played the game. Song kept playing but screen was totally froze. Couldn’t open any menus or nothing. Had to close application.

lets hope for a patch.. months later after reporting this issue...

• BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Wait... LD now has internet?!!?

(I kid, as I know he now lives not too far down the street from me… but I didn’t know you were back playing RB again!! Sweet!)!!!
  • Ugh. Just hardcore froze playing Guitar (offline quickplay). Hasn’t happened in a bit but I also have rarely played the game. Song kept playing but screen was totally froze. Couldn’t open any menus or nothing. Had to close application.

lets hope for a patch.. months later after reporting this issue...

I came across this thread in the support forum:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/284388/ps4-stuttering-and-freezing-submit-tickets-please

Looks like HMX can't reproduce the PS4 issues.
  • Now I’m just laughing out loud. How can they not when everyone in my friends list (80+) are having the same exact issue. It’s the same excuse they used for the RB3 Xmb crash

• I'd guess it could possibly be connection related. In its simplest form that would be something like vast majority of players only use wireless connection meanwhile HMX only uses wired connection.

Sounds too simple to be the case but given how the past 5 years has been Nintendo pretty much saying you need a LAN adapter for Smash online to be good, I don't think you can completely discard the theory.
    edited February 11
    My PS4 has an Ethernet cable plugged into it (run directly from the router on the first floor, through the ducts, into the basement). If I try to watch Amazon Prime, it gives me a "insufficient bandwidth" error within 10 minutes.

I switch to watching on my Roku (over WiFi), I get no problems at all.

I also get bumped from RDR2 online all the time.

RB4? I get a brief screen freeze about every 20 songs. Which is apparently a much better / more stable situation than many are reporting?

WEIRD.
  • I'd guess it could possibly be connection related. In its simplest form that would be something like vast majority of players only use wireless connection meanwhile HMX only uses wired connection.

Sounds too simple to be the case but given how the past 5 years has been Nintendo pretty much saying you need a LAN adapter for Smash online to be good, I don't think you can completely discard the theory.

I get 300mbps.. It's not connection related unless you mean their servers which is likely.
    I did submit a ticket I should say. I made it humorous too so they didn't get one of those "unfriendly customer" tickets lol
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

Do you think that the ethernet cord or the port might be going bad?

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

My PS4 has an Ethernet cable plugged into it (run directly from the router on the first floor, through the ducts, into the basement). If I try to watch Amazon Prime, it gives me a "insufficient bandwidth" error within 10 minutes.

That sounds like a PlayStation/PS-Network issue.
    edited February 11
    That's not impossible. AND YET when I do a speed test, it's excellent.
    Until I try to play something from Amazon Prime: I ran a speed test right after it froze, and my download / upload speed had fallen to <10% of normal. My gut says that "Net Neutrality" is to blame (because Amazon hasn't paid the proper bribe to Cox Cable yet). But it worked fine when I switch to Roku.

The whole reason that I ran the cable through the duct in the first place: I was tired of getting booted for lagging while playing "Star Wars Battlefront". It happened about every 8 matches [still better than my recent RDR2 Online experiences]. I read up on it, and apparently the WiFi on the PS4 was known for having issues. Never had a single lag issue with the game after I attached the wire.

MAYBE the wire is wearing out [yeah, the heating duct is not an ideal environment]. But then why does the speed measure as "pretty awesome" (even right after I get bumped from RDR2 online) the vast majority of the time?
    MAYBE my PS4 is getting old, and "something" isn't working 100% any more
    Or maybe it's my router. I got the best one that Cox would support, but it had problems at first, rebooting randomly. Just like every router I've ever used with Cox. Every few years, my cable signal starts pixelating, and they come out and put in a new coax cable outside, and say, "that was your problem, you're good now!". The picture has been totally fine for the past 9 months.
    But maybe Cox cable is to blame somehow [the coax cables, or some part of their vast system, insufficient bribes paid to them from major networking sites].
    I'm not sure how to test out each of these possible suspects. I guess I could buy a new 50' Ethernet cable and see how that works out. 35 feet of highly rated Cat 6 cable will cost me ... 10 bucks.
    edited February 11

@Meat-Popsicle

Try putting the ethernet cord in a different port on your modem? Also how old is your modem and or wifi adapter?

• I can confirm that the WiFi on PS4 is utter garbage. I always use a cable for Sony Products for online stuff now. PS3 isn't but I rarely even use that to begin with.
    It sounds almost like it's a ISP issue though @MeatPopsicle . But who really knows. I've noticed Netflix on PS4 is way worse than my Netflix on Roku though. I get much smoother service through Roku.

Wifi is garbage on pretty much all devices. Wifi degrades over time and is generally the first thing to die. Average lifespan of a router is two to three years while internal adapters aren’t that much better. I actually kind of miss external wifi adapters because despite being garbage, your device wasn’t worthless when they began to die.

edited February 11
    I am fortunate that the TV I bought last year has Roku built-in. I really didn't want a smart TV, but now I have this option.
    Is there a program I can run on my laptop or phone to monitor the performance of my router? Or to somehow test the ISP itself?

I ordered the new 35' cable anyway. Can't hurt. 50' was longer than I really needed and it's pretty old by now (6 years? more?).
    I ordered my Netgear N450 in August 2015. Time flies!
    Routers become unreliable after 3 years? Why? There are no moving parts to wear out. I feel pretty certain my old 56k modem would work just as well now as it did the day it was manufactured... unacceptably slow by today's standards, but no slower than it was back then. So why???

Maybe for similar reasons that make phones unusable after about 18 months? Except, no, I'm not installing apps on my router, I'm not filling up the usable memory on my router, I'm not dropping my router or walking around in the rain with my router in my hand. Or running my router on battery and then recharging it over and over again, many hundreds of times.

*yells at cloud*
  • I feel like it's because routers lack efficient heat dissipation and most people shove them into dark, unventilated corners of their homes. You're basically taking a computer that doesn't have fans and is on 24/7 and putting them in places computers probably wouldn't feel welcome.
    edited February 12
    I would expect "poorly ventilated" to lead to "completely dead". Not "sporadically rebooting". But maybe. And yet it actually did that more often back when it was new!
    And it wouldn't seem to explain at all the "going very slowly and getting me bumped / stopping my video stream when I am using specific applications on my PS4" behavior.
  • Tetris 99, baby! Finally a reason to get back on the Switch. Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening remastered also looked pretty cool.
    I need to advance the story more in RDR2. I just like to wander the countryside skinnin' animals and killin' folk when I come across them. When whats-his-name comes and finds me and says that Dutch or John or whoever is worried and asks if I'm ever coming back to back, I always say "Not just yet."

SAFETY NOTICE TO NPCs: if you're camping in the woods, don't build a fire. The smoke draws me to you like a moth to a flame, and you'll end up dead.
  • Are you all ready for Tetris battle royale?

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Wildcat15 said:

Are you all ready for Tetris battle royale?

It's great! Was actually hoping for something like it for a while.

Unrelated note, I am totally gonna get a cosplay together for that Frozen 2 Anna design. So autumny!
  • Wildcat15 said:

Are you all ready for Tetris battle royale?

It's great! Was actually hoping for something like it for a while.

Unrelated note, I am totally gonna get a cosplay together for that Frozen 2 Anna design. So autumny!
    I used to play TetriNet with a bunch of my IRC friends back in the WHAT TWENTY YEARS AGO
  • I need to advance the story more in RDR2. I just like to wander the countryside skinnin' animals and killin' folk when I come across them. When whats-his-name comes and finds me and says that Dutch or John or whoever is worried and asks if I'm ever coming back to back, I always say "Not just yet."

SAFETY NOTICE TO NPCs: if you're camping in the woods, don't build a fire. The smoke draws me to you like a moth to a flame, and you'll end up dead.

Currently trying to finish up the story. Up to Chapter 6 (got there last night). Trying to finish it up so I can move on to other games that I want to get. Kingdom Hearts 3 is one (which I knew would take awhile too)

Have so many PS+ games in my backlog....
  • Tetris is so old that it came out of the USSR, not Russia.

OMG you're a troll!
    Wait, you do this to NPCs ... so not to actual human-controlled characters.
    ... right?
    Yeah, I haven't even tried online. I'm still scarred from all the golden-gunned campers from RDR1 that would surround the spawn site and literally keep killing me as I appeared for an hour. I tried to wait them out once to see if they got bored, but nope. It was private multiplay for a little while and then just none.